Udaitha Muttai Kulambu / Egg Drop Curry / Poached Egg Curry is one of the recipes from ammas collections. The speciality of this recipe is we dont add boiled eggs to the curry as we always do instead we break open and pour the eggs directly into the curry and cook it. I am not a big fan of this curry, I prefer the boiled eggs kuzhambu
more but hubbys prefer this.Now lets get on to learn egg kuzhambu recipe...
We had it with podalangai poriyal rice and sutta appalam...my kind of comfort meal it is :)
Muttai Kuzhambu(Egg Drop Curry) - Ingredients
Eggs - 2
Big Onion - 1 small sized chopped finely
Tomato - 1 small sized chopped roughly
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Tamarind water -1/4 cup
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
: 15 mins
| Cooking Time
: 20 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
To grind:Onion - 1 chopped roughly
Tomato -2 chopped roughly
Chana Dal - 1/2 tbsp
Red Chillies - 2
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
To temper:Oil - 3 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Mint leaves - few
- In a pan heat a tsp of oil add onion , tomato and saute till mushy and raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then add chana dal and red chillies and saute for 2mins. Cool down , transfer this to a mixer and grind it along with coconut,fennel seeds to a fine paste,Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste,onion, tomato, mint leaves and fry till raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then add the coconut paste along with red chilli and coriander powders and saute for 3mins.
- Then add 1 cup water,required salt and allow it to boil till raw smell completely leaves.Then add tamarind water.Now crack the eggs and carefully drop them in the curry, leave it undisturbed.
- Close it with a lid and cook till eggs turn firm and get cooked.Allow the curry to boil for 2-3mins until oil seperates.Dont stir the kuzhambu till the eggs are cooked.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with rice!
- Dont stir the curry once the eggs are added.
- You can use the same recipe and add boiled eggs instead of adding the raw eggs directly into the curry.
- Instead of ginger garlic paste you can even add crushed ginger and garlic.
- The tamarind water should be runny, dont use thick tamarind pulp which will give a more tangy flavour to the curry.
- While tempering you can temper whole spices like cinnamon,cloves and cardamom.
Labels: Egg Recipes, Kolambu and Sambars for rice