Onam is fast approaching and I wanted to post a payasam recipe so made this quick payasam few days back......As I have already posted moong dal payasam
I made this payasam for onam special.I have one more onam sadya recipe to be posted which I will post on Monday.
A little busy this weekend as I am here in Chennai for a short 3 day vacation.....Chennai welcomed us this time with great showers.Looking forward for meet ups with friends and shopping too.....:)
Paruppu Pradhaman Recipe - Ingredients
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Powdered Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
Milk - 2 tbsp
Cashews - 7 broken
Edible camphor / Dry ginger powder - a small pinch
Ghee - 2 tsp
: 15 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
Recipe Category: Dessert
| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked) It should be of idli batter consistency.Strain and keep aside.
- Dry roast chana dal until it turns golden brown.In a pressure cooker add chana dal with water till immersing level and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles, dont make it too mushy,Set aside.Heat ghee in a pan add cahews and fry till golden brown, set aside.
- Heat jaggery syrup for 2mins until it starts thickening(no need to check for any consistency)....add chana dal at this stage.Mash it up with a laddle.Once jaggery syrup is well combined with the dal, add coconut milk.
- Once it starts to boil, add dry ginger powder / edible camphor, milk and give a quick stir. Switch off and add ghee fried cashews.
Serve hot / cold as per your preference.
- Dont boil for more time after coconut milk is added else it will start to curdle.
- Adjust jaggery as per your sweet level, we liked ours a bit sweeter.
- After you add dhal to jaggery syrup do the whole process in low flame and keep stirring.
- As with any payasam it thickens with time so switch off a bit runny.
- Adding dry ginger powder gives a great flavour. I have tried with edible camphor and it tasted great too.
Labels: FestiveSpecials, Onam Sadhya Menu, Payasam/Kheer