Happy Onam to all those who are celebrating the festival!!
Hope you are all having a great onam and had your share of onam sadya :) This cucumber kichadi is similar to cucumber raita
with a kerala twist....this is no way related to our kichadi this is cucumber in coconut yogurt gravy.This dish is commonly known as Pachadi,but towards south Kerala this is called Kichadi
I am just back from a short 3 day trip to Chennai.Had a great time there...I am happy that I could cover up most of the things that I had planned....friends, relatives meet up,shopping etc....and yes finally this time managed to visit tnagar and pondy bazaar though it was buzzing as usual, I walked around with lots of old memories... It was totally a different experience walking around those streets of pondy bazaar with mittu as this is the first time I am taking her there.....:) I did manage to get few accessories for mittu then few props for me.But thebirthday month is already giving me so many sweet surprises with lots of gifts from friends....:)
Cucumber Kichadi Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Cucumber - 1 big
Thick Curd - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
To grind to a coarse mixture:
Green Chilli - 1
Grated Coconut - 1/3 cup
Mustard Seeds - 1/8 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies - 1 broken
Curry leaves - a small sprig
Serve chilled with any variety rice.
- Wash cucumber, peel off the skin and remove the seeds. Chop them into bite sized cubes.
- In a kadai boil water add cucumber with required salt...Just cook till it becomes dry,Set aside.Grind the ingredients listed under 'to grind' to a semi coarse paste.
- Add the coarse paste to the cucumber and mix well.Saute till raw smell leaves.Switch off. Add salt and whisk curd.
- Add curd to cucumber mixture and give a stir.Temper the items in coconut oil and pour the seasoning to the pachadi.Adjust salt if required.
- Dont add more water while cooking cucumber as it may get mushy.
- You can alternatively grate cucumber and use them in the kichadi.
- Adjust green chillies according to your spice level.
Labels: Onam Sadhya Menu, raita recipes, Raitas