Pachai payaru / Green gram sundal is one easy and quick sundal recipe we can make for navaratri.Sundal is an important dish we make for every navaretri festival.You can pack this as a snack for kids too, they will sure love it.I already posted the savory version
of this sundal last year so here is the sweet version...Now lets get on to learn how to make green gram sundal recipe.
Green Gram Sweet Sundal Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Green Gram - 3/4 cup
Coconut - 4 tbsp
Powdered Jaggery - 1/4 cup
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Red Chillies - 2 broken
Hing - a generous pinch
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked) .Strain and keep aside.
- Soak green gram dhal overnight.Boil 2 cups of water(or water till immersing level) and add soaked green gram and required salt to it.Cook till it becomes soft,Set aside.In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.Then add cooked green gram
- Then add jaggery syrup and give a toss until mixed well.Adjust salt if required at this stage.Then add coconut and give a quick stir.Switch off.
Serve warm as a evening snack or even for breakfast!
And thats my little niece posing for me :)
- You can even add powdered jaggery as such but to remove impurities I always heat up and strain.Also amma says adding jaggery syrup helps in even mixing.
- I did not make the syrup thick, just tossed it in a semi runny syrup.You can make the jaggery syrup a bit thicker to coat the sundal, its your preference.
- You can make a easy version by just mixing jaggery syrup and coconut without tempering, that tastes good too.
- You can replace green chillies instead of red chillies.
- Adjust sweetness according to your taste..As per the measurements given this is mildy sweet.
Labels: Navaratri Recipes, Sundal Recipes