Inji Puli is one of my favs anytime....Amma used to make inji puli occassionally which she learnt it from my ammama and I used to enjoy it to the core with sambar,curd rice sometimes with idlis and dosas too :).Few weeks back when I googled for onam sadya menu items, found that inji puli is also one among the menu and to my surprise there was not much difference in kerala style inji puli recipe.So I made it and clicked to post it here for onam special.
I am rushing with onam recipes as we have planned for a 3 day trip to Chennai this weekend so thought to post the recipes soon as I dont want to miss the occasion :)
Inji Puli Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes : 1/2 cup
Ginger - 3/4 cup skin peeled and finely chopped
Green Chillies - 7 finely chopped
Fenugreek - 1/8 tsp
Tamarind - gooseberry sized ball
Jaggery syrup - 1.5 tbsp(optional)
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
To temper:Oil - 4 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Red Chillies - 2 broken
Allow it to cool down then store in a clean bottle.
- Soak tamarind in 3/4 cup of warm water,set aside.Wash ginger, peel off the skin and chop it finely.Then trim the edges of green chillies and chop it finely too.Dry roast fenugreek till crisp and powder it,Set aside.In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.
- Then add ginger and green chillies and fry till nicely browned.Then filter and add tamarind water.Add required salt.
- Allow it to boil for few mins until raw smell leaves. After it starts to boil simmer and allow it to thicken more like a thokku.
- Once it starts to thicken add jaggery syrup and let it boil until oil seperates.Finally add fenugreek powder cook for 2mins then switch off.
- Adjust spice level according to your taste.
- Oil should float as with any pickle so dont compromise on oil else it will get spoiled easily.
- I love jaggery in this but if you dont prefer the sweetness then skip it.
- Make sure you chop ginger and green chillies very finely so that it gets cooked easily.
- Inji Puli thickens after cooling down so switch off accordingly.
- You can refrigerate it and it keeps well for 2-3 weeks.Use clean spoon everytime.
- Jaggery syrup need not be very thick.Just dissolve jaggery in water and heat it up for 5mins,then strain and use it.
Labels: Onam Sadhya Menu, Pickles and Other Spreads