Savory diamond cuts / Khara Maida Biscuits is a great teatime snack......I love sweet maida biscuits
more than savoury ones....but inbetween love to bite the savory ones too. Last year I remember having these as a part of the diwali snacks my neighbour gave and it had a great tangy flavour from chat masala powder so I added it too and the flavour ws amazing!
We usually use a special designed cutter for making diamond cuts but you can very well use your pizza cutter or a normal knife to make this. The cutter has one side spoon and other side a wheel with designed edges, you can see that in my stepwise pictures,now its widely available in markets which can be used for somas too.
Savory Diamond Cuts Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Serves : 1 cup
Maida(All purpose flour) - 1/2 cup
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 1 tsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Jeera / Ajwain - 1/4 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Chat Masala Powder / Amchur Powder -1/4 to 1/2 tsp
Oil - to deep fry
Recipe Category: Makes | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- First mix red chilli powder with little water to a runny paste.In a mixing bowl add maida,red chilli paste,garlic paste,butter,jeera,sesame seeds,salt and mix well first.Then add water little by little.Add enough water and knead it to a soft pilable dough not too loose not too tight,Set aside for 15mins.
- Knead it again and divide the dough into equal parts(lemon sized balls).Take a portion and roll it into a thin circle.Dust flour as and when needed.Roll it as thin as possible.
- Using the cutter(you can use your pizza cutter or a simple knife too) cut first vertically then horizontally to form small diamonds.Carefully seperate them and make it ready.
- Heat oil and make it ready.To check if the oil is at the correct temperature, first pinch a tiny portion of dough,add it to oil if it raises to top immediately then oil is at the correct temperature...else heat the oil for few more seconds.Now gently gather the diamonds and drop in a sprinkled way,Cook in medium low flame - turn over for even cooking. Deep fry till golden brown and drain in tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.Repeat the process for the remaining dough.After draining in tissue paper. add chat masala powder and mix well.
Cool down and store in an airtight container.
- Mixing red chilli powder with water and forming a runny paste and then adding to the batter helps in even distribution and it will form patches.
- For garlic paste - just grind raw garlic to a fine paste.
- If you dont want the biscuts to puff up then prick holes with a fork. But I didnt prick as I love to bite the puffed up biscuits :)
- You can even replace jeera with ajwain(omam).
- You can even use a metal spatula to seperate and gather the diamonds.
- Adding chat masala powder / amchur powder gives a touch and extra zing to the biscuits.
- You can even use half and half of wheat and maida flour.
Labels: Diwali Savoury Snacks, Diwali Special, Diwali Sweets, diwali sweets recipes