Rasam is such a comfort sidedish especially after we having our heavy doses of sweets and savories full of oil as rasam helps in digestion.Though it is an integral part of south indian meals, we dont make rasam daily may be twice or thrice a week thats all.I have already posted pepper rasam
etc and now this is another simple variation of rasam with homemade rasam powder.
Tamarind rasam is a basic quick and easy rasam recipe perfect for those lazy days.Through the days of cooking I have learnt the main key to making a good rasam is not to overboil as it loses its flavour.
Tamarind Rasam Recipe - Ingredients
Tamarind - gooseberry size
Tomato - 1 small
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Rasam powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
: 15 mins
| Cooking Time
: 25 mins
: Side Dish
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
To temper:Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
Red chillies - 2
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for 20mins,set aside.In a kadai heat a tsp of oil add tomatoes and turmeric powder saute till raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then strain and add the tamarind juice to the kadai.
- Allow it to boil for 3mins until raw smell of tamarind leaves.Then add rasam powder and simmer for a minute. In parallel heat a tadka pan with oil+ghee and temper the items listed under 'to temper'.
- Add the tempered items to the rasam.Let it come to a rolling boil switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve as a sidedish for rice or have it as such like soups!
- Ghee gives a nice flavour to the rasam so dont skip it.
- Dont let the rasam boil for more time which is the key to make a good rasam.
- Adjust water quantity according to the thickness of the tamarind pulp.
- You can reduce tamarind juice to 1 and 1/2 cups and add 1/2 cup cooked toor dhal water instead.