Pressure Cooker Cake - Yes you heard it right...Don't have an oven but badly want to bake a cake?! Now you don't have any excuses...you can bake a cake in pressure cooker in stove top itself...Isn't that cool?! I wanted to try a pressure cooker cake since long but was little skeptical about the results....But finally tried it a day back....Though the cooker cannot replace an oven, the cake came out pretty good....soft and spongy just like the cake we make in an oven.I am sure no one can even find out its baked in pressure cooker.
As there are more pictures I splitted up the post into 2....For detailed tips and my notes section check cooker cake post .
I wanted to post it for christmas so added tutti frutti to give the cake a colorful look.This cake is sure a eggless butterless delight and am sure you will not miss any of them in the cake...the cake is moist, soft and spongy.....A perfect basic vanilla sponge cake!
Eggless Pressure Cooker Cake Recipe - Ingredients
For more tips and notes for how to bake cake in cooker check here
All purpose Flour(Maida) - 1 cup + 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/8 tsp
Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Tutti Frutti - 1/2 cup
: 15 mins
| Cooking Time
: 30 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
Recipe Reference:Madhuras Recipe
Oil - 1/4 cup
Hot water - 3/4 cup
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Whisk together flour,baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl,Set aside.In a seperate bowl - add all ingredients under the 'wet ingredients' table except lemon juice and mix well till sugar dissolves completely.Then add flour in 2 parts.
- Whisk it well to form a smooth creamy batter.Mix tutti frutti with a tsp of flour and mix well.Then add tutti frutti and give a quick stir.
- Grease the cake pan with butter and sprinkle flour, tap the cake tin for the flour to spread evenly.Squeeze lemon to extract juice from it....measure a tbsp from it and add it to the cake batter and immediately pour into the greased cake pan.Make sure you preheat the cooker and then add lemon juice mix well adn transfer to the cake tin. As after adding lemon juice it is advisable to bake it immediately.
- First choose a pressure cooker that is wide enough to hold your cake tin.Remove the gasket(black rubber kind of thing) from the lid of your pressure cooker.I used the stand which came with my pressure cooker.
- Place the stand inside the cooker as shown below....Close the cooker with a lid with no whistle. Keep the flame to medium high for 5mins - this is how we preheat the cooker to set an atmosphere like an oven.Then using a pot holder carefully lift the cake pan and place it inside the cooker on the stand without touching the sides of the cooker.Dont add water.
- Pressure cook without whistle in medium heat for first 5 mins then lower the heat to little above sim and cook for 30-35 mins or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.If the toothpick is sticky then bake for another 5-10 mins. After 30 mins switch off and leave the cake in the cooker for 5 more mins then open.Carefully remove the cake pan from the cooker and place it on a wet cloth for 5 mins. After 10 minute run the knife around the edges of cake tin.Then invert the cake pan to remove the cake.
Serve it warm or at room temperature!
Important things to be noted before starting to bake in a pressure cooker:
- Remove the gasket from the pressure cooker.
- No whistle required to make pressure cooker cake.
- Do not add water inside the cooker.
- Choose a cooker that is wide enough to hold your cake tin. Your cake tin must fit inside the pressure cooker without touching the cooker directly(on the sides and bottom)
- Be very careful while placing the cake tin inside the cooker and while removing it outside after the cake is baked as it will be very hot.
- Make sure the cake tin doesn't touch directly on either sides of the cooker.
This recipe is sure a keeper and it did really work for me......I want to try this chocolate flavoured next time....You can have this recipe as a base and experiment with your creative ideas.
- Make sure the batter should be 1/2 or close to 3/4th of the cake tin, only then the cake will rise and have a soft spongy texture.
- Tap the cake tin on all sides after the batter is added to ensure even spreading of cake batter in the tin.
- Add lemon juice at that instant when you have already started to preheat your cooker. Dont let the batter rest more than 5mins after lemon juice is added.
- Once the cake is done, place the cake tin on a wet cloth so that demoulding is easier and clean.
- Cool down the cake for atleast 1 hr then start slicing. I couldnt wait as usual so that justifies the slightly crumbled cake slices.:)
- If you want to make a chocolate cake then reduce vanilla essence to 1/4 tsp and add 3 tbsp coco powder along with flour mixture and follow the same measures for all other ingredients.
- My cake was done in 30mins itself but I left another 5mins .Do not overbake else the cake would become dry.
Labels: Christmas Recipes, Eggless Baking, Eggless Cakes, Tutti Frutti Cakes