I have had pepper idli once at Sangeetha Restaurant in Chennai....8 yrs back, when I was working, there used to be Sangeetha hotel(T Nagar branch) near by our office and I had tasted this pepper idli when one of my colleagues ordered it.....By the look of it I was so much tempted and after tasting it I just loved it
Few months back I saw an ad here at Sree Annapoorna Restaurant.....I saw chilli idli and pepper idli, the pictures were damn good and tempting...I started drooling......which kindled me to try this the next day itself and it turned out soo good hubby loved it soo much.Dont go by the look of it, it is super spicy.
Mini Pepper Idli Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 1
Mini Idli's - 12
Onion - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Capsicum - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To roast and grind :Pepper - 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
To temper :Oil - 2 tsp
Garlic - 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
Curry leaves - a small sprig
for detailed post for making idli
- Pour idli batter into the mini idli mould and steam it for 8-10mins. My mini idli steamer has cloth so I use it which gives more softer idlis.You can just pour it directly into the mould too.
- Carefully transfer the mini idlis to a plate and let it cool down.Meanwhile dry roast pepper,fennel seeds until nice aroma rises.Then grind it to a semi coarse powder.I used my hand mortar and pestle to get this job perfectly done.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan - add garlic and roast till slightly browned,then add curry leaves let it splutter then add onion and fry till golden brown.Then add capsicum and toss it well, then add masala powder(pepper fennel).
- Mix well, add garam masala powder required salt and fry it for 3mins.Then add mini idlis,sprinkle little water just to bring everything together and toss it until the idlis are nicely coated.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot / warm with plain curd or onion raita!
- If you dont have mini idli mould, then make regular idlis and chop them into cubes for making pepper idli.
- You can even add 1 small sized tomatoes and saute along with onion.
- Frying garlic till golden brown gives a great flavour to this dish.
- You can even add veggies like carrot and cabbage.You can chop all veggies lengthwise like how to chop for making noodles.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, Teatime snacks