I like any potato variety...and no wonder Sweet Potato is one of my fav veggies. During pongal time, I saw sweet potato widely available so want to make good use of it. And here comes the first post with this veggie. And happy weekend , wait till I am back with the lunchbox recipe this weekend :)
Sweet Potato Fry Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 1
Sakkaravalli Kizhangu(Sweet Potato) - 5
Big Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Sambar Powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
- Wash the potatoes well. Then pressure cook sweet potato with enough water for 3-4 whistles or until soft.Peel off the skin, and slice them as shown in the pics.Set aside.
- In a kadai / pan - heat oil , add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter then add onion, ginger garlic paste and saute till onions turn transparent.Then add sweet potato along with salt, red chilli powder and sambar powder.
- Sprinkle little water and mix well. Add oil when it sticks and carefully turn over , don't mush it up.Simmer and keep roasting till its nicely browned.Once it is roasted well, switch off.
Serve it with rice and sambar / any kuzhambu of your choice.
- You can use a nonstick pan so that it is less sticky and does not require much oil.
- Adding ginger and garlic helps to avoid gastric problems so I always add it.
- You can replace this tempering with fennel, cinnamon and cloves and add garam masala powder instead of sambar powder.
- As the potato by itself is sweet, you can add a bit more of red chilli powder too....adjust it according to your spice level.