Thinai Arisi Upma - How to cook thinai rice - Foxtail Millet Recipes

Thinai Arisi Upma Recipe
There always needs a motivation, an inspiration, that extra push for certain things in life.....Thats how millets came into our regular diet. Sowmya always used to tell about different types of millet and insist me to try millet recipes and post it, though she was at the back of me I was not very keen about that(Shhh hope she doesnt read it else she will kill me ;)). Few weeks back came to know the health benefits of millets through mittus doctor on an casual talk....his words were so inspiring that the next day I was at Nilgiris millet section starring at all the millets....Though I bought and kept kambu months back, only now I tried kambu koozh(the post will be up soon) and now that has been a routine for breakfast these days.

As I am totally new to millets and when I kept starring at each millet at Nilgiris(actually I was trying to get the names of millet varieties first)....the sales paati came to me and asked what do you want and how can I help you? I said I am looking for millet varieties like varagu,saamai, thinai, kuthiraivali etc.....She is always a ready helper whenever we visit Nilgiris whether I call her or not when I am at the bean section she will be at the back of me with a smiling face :) And nowadays I make it a point to visit her to say a hi and get extra tips for cooking traditional ingredients....Having seen all the varieties, thinai(foxtail millet) impressed me as it looked photogenic(again food bloggers mind you see) so I thought let me start with it. 
Thinai Arisi Upma Recipe
These grains were traditionally used by our ancestors but totally forgotten today....Millets are gluten free, rich in fiber and proteins.Compared to other cereal grains, millets are well suited to less fertile soils and poorer growing conditions, such as intense heat and low rainfall. In addition, their rapid growth and shorter growing seasons make millets ideal for emergency, late-planted, and double cropping situations.So mostly they are grown organic without any pesticides and chemicals...Isnt that a great news? Source [Google]

You will find more millet recipes here in future so keep watching!!

Thinai Arisi Upma Recipe

Thinai Arisi Upma Recipe - Ingredients

Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 1
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian

Thinai Arisi (Foxtail Millet) - 1/2 cup
Big Onion - 1 chopped finely
Water - 3 cups
Salt - to taste

To temper:

Oil - 1 tsp
Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
Green Chilli - 1 chopped roughly

Method:

  1. Rinse it well if you feel there is any husk...I usually get cleaned millets so I don't rinse it..Measure 1/2 cup of thinai arisi. Dry roast it for 3mins , don't let it change the color.Heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.How to make thinai arisi upma - Step1
  2. Add onions and fry till transparent, then add water and let it come to a rolling boil then add roasted thinai arisi little by little and keep stirring.How to make thinai arisi upma - Step2
  3. Once the water is absorbed fully,check if the grains have become soft then cook covered for 2-3mins until its fluffy.How to make thinai arisi upma - Step3
Serve hot with sugar or any side dish of your choice.
Thinai Arisi Upma Recipe

My Notes:

Thinai Arisi Upma Recipe

Labels: , , , , ,