Sabudana Vada aka Sago Vada is one of the popular Maharashtrian recipes made during Navaratri fasting(vrat). This is the first time I am trying my hands at this vada recipe should say it was a hit at home. I made it today morning,served it as a 11AM snack...and couldnt wait to share so here I am writing this post :) I saw this recipe from a cookbook that I borrowed long back, jotted down the recipe and tried it today. I loved the crispy outside and the soft inside...perfect to much as a snack.
Ok I am rushing to pick my daughter so no more stories today , lets get onto how to make sago vada recipe..
Sago Vada Recipe
Preparation Time:5 hrs | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes:around 15
Sago(Javvarisi) - 1 cup
Boiled Potato - 1 big sized
Jeera - 1 tsp
Peanuts - 1/3 cup
Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli - 1 finely chopped
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1.5 tbsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
- Rinse sago well with water and soak sago overnight or for atleast 5 hrs with enough water just to immerse it well...Dont add more water as it will become mushy...just sprinkle little water if you feel its very dry.After the mentioned time if you see the sago must have absorbed the water well and if you press it with your fingers it will be soft, Set aside. Roast peanuts till the skin splutters.
- Discard the skin and grind the peanuts to a coarse mixture.In a mixing bowl - add sago,peanut powder,mashed potato,jeera,ginger paste, green chilli,lime juice,sugar, coriander leaves and required salt.
- Mix the mixture well until it forms together.Pinch lemon sized ball and shape them into vadas.Make all the vadas ready.
- Heat oil - add the sago vadas , carefully turn over and cook till golden brown on both sides.Cook in medium flame to avoid burning.
Serve hot with green chutney or tomato sauce.
- Dont choose the nylon variety sago....the bigger variety suits well for this.
- Take care while adding water to soak sago...this is a very important step....if you add more water then it will become mushy.
- Do not fry for more time, then the vadas will turn bitter, make sure you take them when its golden brown.
- Pressure cook potatoes with skin for atleast 4-5 whistles or until soft...Peel of the skin and mash it up.
- If you are soaking in the mrg then you can check it now and then, fluff it up inbetween this gives nonsticky sago.Sago should be soaked well and should be soft.
- You can even add 2 tsp of rice flour while mixing.
Labels: fasting recipes, no onion no garlic recipes, Sago Recipes, vrat recipes