Thandai is a very popular drink in North India made during Mahasivarathri and Holi. Last week my north indian neighbour casually was talking about thandai, a special drink made for Holi, when I asked her the recipe she said they just buy the thandai essence, mix it with milk and offer to god and serve it.So I googled around to find the recipe and tried it....The taste still lingers, I just lovvvvved it, yes I loved it soo much.The drink is exotic with saffron flavour and the spices just elevate the flavour of this drink.
It is a refreshing drink especially for summer which acts as a body coolant too. I am sure gona make it often as its simple to make and yummy to drink....It is sure addictive!! :) Cant wait to make it again and enjoy it ! :)
Thandai Recipe - Ingredients
Milk - 1/2 liter (2 cups)
Sugar - 1.5 tbsp
Saffron - 6 to 8 strands
Rose essence - 2 drops
: 30 mins
| Cooking Time
: 10 mins
: 2 cups
| Recipe Category
| Recipe Cuisine
: North Indian
To grind to a paste:Almonds - 20
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns - 10
- Take all the ingredients listed under 'to grind' and soak it in water for 30mins.Meanwhile boil milk.
- Cool down and add sugar.Take a tbsp of warm milk and soak saffrons in it.Add a tsp of the saffron milk mixture to the milk.
- Peel of the skin of almonds and grind it along with other ingredients to a fine paste.
- Then spoon the mixture and add it to the milk.Mix well and set aside for 15mins.Then strain it.
- Discard the residue.Add the remaining saffron milk (which we reserved in step2) to the strained almond milk.Add 2 drops rose essence and refrigerate it for an hr.
- After the spice mixture is added give little resting time for it to get blended well with milk.
- Rose water is optional but gives a great flavour to the drink.
- At the time of serving, pour into serving glasses, add crushed pistachios and saffron.You can even add dried rose petals.Always serve chilled.
Labels: FestiveSpecials, Holi Recipes