Masala Chaas is a easy north indian buttermilk variety. You can make many variations with this masala chaas like beetroot chaas, mint chaas etc.
Before I proceed to the recipe I have few things to share here....Mittu was in her Prekg and it was the first parents teachers meeting for her. After meeting the class teacher I was waiting at the corridor that's when I saw another kids mother standing near me.I usually dont have the courage to first step ahead to lead for an intro....But surprisingly I did go to her and introduced myself and asked her whereabouts...we hardly spoke for 5mins then exchanged phone numbers and waved bye....thats how our friendship started.Since then we had been in constant touch though not regular we catch up every now and then.Days passed by and we had the chance to meet again in person only on the last day of school to hear that both the kids were put up in different sections.Nothing changed since then, we still connected with each other, all our chats surrounded the kids,school activities,homeworks and sometimes food, recipes too.We never had chance to meet after that...all our chats were through phone and at times through whats app.The best thing is we have the same wavelength and thoughts that made us even more attached.
One fine day, she called me to tell that they are planning to shift to US next year,I was really happy for her.Days passed by and last month when she said she is leaving to Chennai for Visa interview I was taken back for a while as it pricked me about the separation.
She is flying to US with her family on this 24th....Thank you so much for visiting us home amidst your tight schedule and for the lovely barbie gift for mittu, it was so thoughtful! Last weekend we were there at her place and I felt really hard to wave bye...I never thought I would feel for a new friends separation this badly....that too we had not been that close to talk often or shared that intimacy but I feel the bonding had always been there inside and only now I am feeling it.She was in the same state too when she waved bye....Miss you Keerthi! Have a safe, enjoyable journey and have loads of fun...! Waiting to catch up once you settle down :)
[Update] : For all those who had commented mailed me asking about the update , yes we are now in touch through skype and wats app.....:) happy me :))
Ahh thats again 3 paras of intro...Now without any further delay lets get on to masala chaas recipe.
Masala Chaas Recipe
Preparation Time:5 minutes | Cooking Time : 5 mins | Serves:2
Curd - 1 cup
Roasted Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Black Salt - a tiny pinch
Green Chilli - 1 small slitted
Coriander Leaves - few
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Drinks | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
- Dry roast jeera for few mins or until it turns slightly browned and nice aroma wafts. Then powder it using hand mortar and pestle or just grind it in the mixer. I used 1 tsp jeera to roast.
- I just wanted to show how black salt(yes black salt is pink in color:)) looks as it was new to me when my sis gave it.In a mixer add curd,mint leaves,coriander leaves,salt,roasted jeera powder(reserve 1/2 tsp jeera powder to sprinkle while serving) and blend it to smooth mixture.
Serve chilled with roasted jeera powder sprinkled.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Other variations are : You can add hing,ginger and any flavour you like and blend it to get your favorite chaas recipe.
- Chaas makes a great accompaniment for any parathas.
- I didnt add water but if you want to make it thin then add 1/4 cup water.
- Use chilled curd or chill the chaas before serving.
- Dont add more black salt as it will spoil the taste of the chaas.
- You can even add a pinch of chat masala powder for the extra zing :)
Labels: buttermilk, Summer Drinks