I always stock up Kambu / Pearl Millet / Bajra when it gets over especially now as its summer. Kambu Koozh
is regular in our house this summer.Few months back when we dined at Anandas, I saw the todays special menu having kambu curd rice and I was like wow thats a great idea....So I made kambu thayir sadam few days back and we enjoyed it, it is sure a good option to our regular curd rice
I actually wanted to post another method of how to cook kambu but this time I ended up cooking in cooker but usually amma cooks it in a thick bottomed vessel, as it takes time I prefer the pressure cooking way but sure to post that method soon, atleast in the next kambu recipe for sure :)
Kambu Thayir Sadam Recipe
Preparation Time:15 minutes | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves:2
Broken Kambu - 1/2 cup (I used broken kambu)
Water - 2 cups
Curd - 1 cup
Carrot - 2.5 tbsp grated
Cucumber - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Raw Mango - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Green Chilli - 1 finely chopped
Ginger - 1/4 inch piece
: If you have whole kambu,then sprinkle little water over it and leave it for 15mins then grind it in a mixer to make it coarse...just 2-3 pulse is enough
- I used broken kambu so used it as such.Rinse the kambu well and transfer to pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook in low medium flame for 4 whistles.
- Once pressure releases, open and switch on the flame.Keep stirring till it becomes thick.Now transfer this to a mixing dish. let it cool down completely.
- Add curd and mix well.Then add cucumber,carrot,coriander leaves, raw mango and mix well.Add required salt.
- Heat oil in a pan - add items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.Then add the tempering to the curd rice. Mix well.
Serve chilled and while serving garnish with leftover carrots,cucumber and coriander leaves.
- If you like add chopped raw onion too.
- If you are packing then add few tbsp of milk along with curd and mix well.
- Make kambu rice thick so that while mixing it doesn't go runny.
- If you prefer add little water and curd while mixing.
- Serve with pickle or any kuzhambu of your choice.
Labels: Kambu Recipes, Millet Recipes