Mini Idli Sambar is an unbeatable combo especially when its served hot hot.Mini Idli Sambar has been on my todo list since long.Actually I wanted to post mini idli sambar along with Saravana Bhavan sambar recipe but last week I clicked it along with my usual sambar recipe itself sure to post the hotel sambar sometime soon. I have tasted sambar idli quite a few times and I love it a lot in certain hotels esp Annapoorna and Anandas are my favorites.....esp with ghee drizzled its yummm.
The knack to get perfect sambar idli is to make the idli texture porous so that it absorbs the sambar well and for sambar, though tiffin sambar suits well for mini idli I would recommend using arachuvitta sambar which is thick and flavourful and gives the hotel taste.
I was also waiting to get a new idli cooker as my old one got spoilt as its been many yrs. I already have a separate mini idli pot which you can see in my pepper idli
and podi idli
post....but that pot is so tiny it can steam only 8 mini idlis at a time.
Last time when we went to Chennai, I bought this idli pot the brand name is Amarjothi(I am telling this detail for few readers who asked me the brand of idli pot I use), this mini idli mould didn't come as a set I got it separately such that it fixes in my idli stand.
Mini Idli Sambar Recipe
Preparation Time:20 mins | Making Time : 20 mins | Serves:2
Idli Batter - 1 cup
Tiffin Sambar / Arachuvitta Sambar / Sambar - as required
Big Onion - 1 finely chopped
Coriander Leaves - 1 tsp
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
finely chopped for garnish
Ghee - 2 tsp
- Keep the idli batter ready.Take the idli batter in a small spoon, pour the batter into mini idli moulds.
- Now carefully place it in your idli stand stacked along with the normal idli mould and place it inside the idli cooker having water till 1/4 th of the cooker.
- Steam it for 8-10mins.Switch off , sprinkle a tsp of water on the idlis and set aside for 5mins.Use a spoon to run around the idlis in the mould, flip them out and keep aside.In a plate add a laddle full of sambar first.
- Arrange the mini idlis then add more sambar on top.Drizzle ghee.Garnish with chopped onion and coriander leaves.
- Make sure you grind the idli batter to the correct consitency sot hat your idlis are porous.If the idlis are poros it will absorb sambar well.
- While grinding grind rice little coarse to get the perfect texture.
- Sambar should be neither thick nor runny, it should be inbetween.
- Once you make the plate ready, serve it immediately.
- You can use tiffin sambar or any lunch sambar for this. But my recommendation is for Arachuvitta Sambar.
- Add veggies or a combination of veggies so that sambar is flavourful.I used carrots and shallots(small onion) for making this sambar.
Labels: Breakfast Ideas, idli varieties, Special Breakfast