Custard powder icecream was on my to try list since last summer but I was not confident enough to scoop icecreams for clicking, I was skeptical whether the icecream would turn out creamy without using icecream maker.Last summer, Idid try the icecream but it didnt set properly and it was more of crystals so this time I googled around and got hold of this recipe and it is going to my keeper.
After trying lemon sorbet, I made up my mind to try this easy icecream and I was really very surprised seeing the creamy icecream.The only messy thing is to blend the icecream repeatedly to get the creamy texture...but think of the final result and yeah don't forget to lick the extras in the mixer each time you blend the icecream :)
This is the first time I am trying icecream at home and am so thrilled , happy and excited about the outcome and yes I am completely satisfied :) Everyone loved it at home, especially mittu.When I made lemon sorbet I promised her to make a icecream for her to compensate as she is not fond of lemon flavour, So when she returned back from school it was homemade custard powder icecream treat for her and she was so happy and gave a big thumps up.
I modified the orginal recipe a bit according to my preference and came up with this recipe.I love to scoop icecreams and now even more happy to scoop homemade icecream :) This is the first time I used homemade fresh cream for desserts and it came out sooo good. Clicking icecreams is sure challenging as it melts so fast so I had to be so quick in clicking...somehow managed to click few decent shots that I have posted here :)
This icecream tasted more like vanilla icecream.Now no more excuses get on to make homemade icecream and treat your kids!
Custard Powder Icecream Recipe
Boiled Milk - 2 and 1/4 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla Custard Powder - 2 tbsp
Fresh Cream - 4 tbsp (I used homemade)
| Freezing Time
: 8 hrs
| Recipe Cuisine
| Recipe Reference
- In 1/4 cup milk add custard powder and mix well to form a thick paste,Set aside.Boil milk, add sugar.
- Mix well till sugar completely dissolves.Now add custard powder mixture mix well till it thickens.Keep stirring continuously in low flame to avoid lumps.
- At one stage the custard will be thick but in pourable consistency more like our dosa batter,At this stage switch off.Cool down completely then add fresh cream, whisk it well.
- Pour it into a freezer safe bowl and freeze it for 2-3 hrs.Then scoop out and blend it in a mixer.
- Blend it until smooth.Then freeze it again for 2 hrs then blend again, do this atleast for 4-5 times in total.Finally freeze it for atleast 6-8 hrs.Once taken from the freezer it will look very hard, leave it aside for 5-10mins, then scoop out.
- You can use any custard powder flavour of your choice.You can even try rasberry / strawberry.
- If you have handmixer then its easy for u, just whisk using it then freeze it.
- I used homemade fresh cream and it came out super good.You can use Amul fresh cream.
- Use freezer safe bowls to freeze it.
- You can use sprinklers or choco chips as garnish or even nuts / tutti frutti.
- When freezed for the final time, leave aside for few mins then scoop it else it will be hard and you will not perfect scoops.
- I always use Pillsbury or Weikfield custard powder, both are equally good.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste, 1/2 cup was perfect for us.
- For a more rich icecream add 2 tbsp condensed milk.
- The icecream keeps well for about a week if freezed.
Labels: icecream, Icecream Sorbets, summer specials