is my favorite so wanted to try millet kichadi and thinai was my choice.This millets khichdi is a very nutrious meal by itself with millets and vegetables added so make it for breakfast or for lunch it is quite filling and healthy too.
We had it for breakfast with coconut chutney
and maavathal kuzhambu(recipe coming up soon) , it was tasty with all the veggies and I now know another way to sneak in veggies for me to eat :)
You can have it with tomato chutney
/ red coconut chutney
Thinai Kichadi Recipe
Preparation Time:10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves:2
Thinai (Foxtail Millet) - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 big chopped finely
Tomato - 1 chopped roughly
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Carrot - 1 small finely chopped
Peas - 1/8 cup
Beans - 1/8 cup finely chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
Water - 2 cups
Coriander leaves - to garnish(I didnt use)
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Green Chilli - 1 slitted
- Rinse thinai and soak it in water for 20mins,Set aside.Heat oil in a pressure cooker - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it crackle then add onion and ginger garlic paste.
- Add tomatoes and saute till raw smell leaves then add the veggies along with turmeric powder and required salt, saute for 2mins.
- Drain water from the thinai and add it along with veggies, give a quick mix.Add water and pressure cook for 3 whistles in low medium flame.Once pressure releases open and fluff it.
Serve hot / warm.
- If you are using any other millet no need to presoak the millet just add it directly.
- I used 2 cups of water but if you want more fluffy kichadi then use 1.5 cups.
- You can even add 2 tbsp moong dal along with the millet for extra flavour.
- I haven't added any cashews but you can add it if you prefer to add.
- Serve hot as it might get dried easily.
- You can add a tsp of lemon juice at the last.
- Garnish with coriander leaves finally.
Labels: Millet Recipes