Ammini kozhukattai also called as mani kozhukattai or mini kozhukattai or ammani kolukattai,is usually made with the leftover dough which we have when we make mothagam
.I have made the salt version of ammini kozhukattai
earlier so wanted to try a sweet version.Its my own idea of making ammini kozhukattai with jaggery,coconut and sesame seeds as coating for the sweet version and it turned out super yummy that hubby loved it so much. This is my first trial and I am super happy and proud about the outcome :)
The first recipe I wanted to try for this Ganesh Chaturthi 2014 was this cute little ammini kozhukattais and the new serving bowl added on to my temptation that I clicked it the very next day I bought this leaf shaped bowl :)
Sweet Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe
Preparation Time:10 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:2
Rice Flour - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/3 cup(for jaggery syrup) + as required to make the dough
Jaggery - 1/4 cup
Coconut - 3 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder - a tiny pinch
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Measure and take rice flour, add a pinch of salt to it....Boil water once it bubbles up rigourously switch off. Add it little by little to the rice flour and keep stirring.Mix it with a laddle till it gathers to a smooth dough.
- Allow it to cool for 2-3 mins and once you are able to bear the heat of the dough, knead it to a smooth dough.Then slightly grease your hands with oil and shape them into small balls.Keep the dough covered to avoid it from drying.Make small balls till the entire dough gets over.
- Grease your steamer plate or idli plate with oil and arrange the balls and Steam it for 7-10mins or until the kozhukattais are cooked.Meanwhile dry roast coconut for 2mins set aside, then dry roast sesame seeds till slightly golden,set aside.
- Melt jaggery syrup in water, strain to remove impurities.Heat up the jaggery syrup in medium flame.
- Once the syrup turns sticky more like honey consistency add the jaggery balls give a quick mix then add roasted coconut and sesame seeds, add cardamom powder cook for 2mins until the mixture forms a sticky coating.Finally add a tsp of ghee and Switch off.
Serve hot / warm.While serving sprinkle more sesame seeds and enjoy!
- I used readymade idiyappam flour, Nirapara brand. You can even use homemade rice flour.
- The water quantity depends on the rice flour quality so adjust accordingly.
- Add hot water to jaggery so that it dissolves quickly.
- Dont let the rice flour mixture dry, keep covered and shape the kozhukattais.I just made 1/2 cup so the shaping was done in few minutes but while doing in bulk make sure you keep it covered with a slightly wet cloth.
- Dont steam for more time , it will make the kozhukattais rubbery and hard.Also dont cook for more time in jaggery syrup, just toss and let the syrup coat the kozhukattais that's enough.
- You can even add a tsp of ghee and roast cashews and raisins and add it.
- Adding sesame seeds give a nutty crunch while eating which I loved it so don't skip it.
Labels: Kozhukattai Recipes, Vinayagar Chathurthi Recipes