Aval and Butter are Lord Krishnas favorite, Usually we make aval urundai
and fresh homemade butter
and serve as neiveidhyam on Krishna Jayanthi.
I have already tried sweet aval
, aval kesari
and aval sakkarai pongal
and so was searching for aval recipes for gokulashtami found this Aval Puttu recipe quite interesting...I searched many sites but found this one perfect.Don't under estimate seeing the ingredients list, it is so tasty.
I have already made this 2 times as we loved the taste and texture.This can be made easily so can be a great snack for kids too. As Gokulashtami is fast approaching I thought to start with a easy sweet, hold on for few more interesting recipes for the festival.
Aval Puttu Recipe - Ingredients
Aval(Poha) - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cashews - 6 broken (ghee fried)
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee -2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Water - 1/2 cup(for jaggery syrup) + as required(for cooking poha)
: 15 mins
| Cooking Time
: 20 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian Reference
: Anithas Kitchen
- Dry roast poha for 3mins until nice aroma wafts.Add 1/2 tsp ghee and fry the cashews and set aside.Cool down and grind in mixer to a fine rava mixture.Collect it in a mixing bowl, mix salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Sprinkle little water, mix well add water little by little till the mixture holds together when you press with it with your palms.Set aside for 10mins.
- Meanwhile take your jaggery and add 1/2 cup water to it and mix well.Strain to remove impurities.Now take the strained jaggery mixture in a pan and heat it up till it becomes thick.
- Keep water in a plate to check the consistency.When you pour a drop of the jaggery syrup in water it should not get dissolved, in the first pic you can see that it gets dissolved so keep boiling got few more mins until you reach a consistency when a drop is poured it should not get dissolved, it should form a soft ball.This is the correct consitency.
- Now keep in low flame add cardamom powder then powdered aval mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle little water and cook covered for 2mins until its fluffy and the aval is cooked to soft.Add grated coconut and cashews.Mix well.Finally garnish with ghee, fluff it up and switch off.
Serve hot / warm.
- Poha should be cooked to soft so I sprinkled little water and cooked it covered and the poha became soft and fluffy.
- The consistency check is the most important here other than that there is no risk factors involved.Make sure you don't miss the consistency else the next stage will be hard ball consistency.
- While making jaggery syrup first you can keep in medium flame once it becomes thick then switch it to low medium flame and cook till perfect consistency is reached.If you are not confident then what I suggest is to switch off the flame once you reach the consistency add the powdered poha mix well then switch on the flame, this way
- I have tried this with homemade jaggery syrup too.If its of honey consistency then the measure you can use is 1/3 cup for 1 cup of aval.
- Make sure to strain the jaggery syrup to avoid impurities.
Labels: aval, Gokulashtami Recipes