Beans Mezhukkupuratti is one of menu items in onam sadya.I got the recipe from my friend Keerthi and I tried it last week served it with with paruppu curry, olan
and rice and it was a mini sadya for us :) Mezhupuratti is a kerala style simple stir fry where the vegetables are blanched and then blended with onion garlic paste seasoned with coconut oil.'Mezhukku' means 'oil' in Malayalam & 'Puratti' means 'smear' so that explains it all.
Mezhukkupuratti can be made with many vegetables but the popular ones being Beans, Kaya(Raw Banana),Chena(Elephant Yam),Carrot,Achinga Payar(Long Beans) etc.
Beans Mezhukkupuratti Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
French Beans - 1 and 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
To grind to a coarse paste:
Small Onion - 6
Garlic Pearls - 3 big sized
Red Chilli - 1
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a small sprig
- Wash beans, trim the edges and chop them into 1/2 cm length pieces.Cook covered with enough water and salt until just cooked.Set aside.Grind the ingredients listed under ' to grind' to a slightly coarse paste,Set aside.
- In a pan drizzle coconut oil add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter then add the onion paste and saute.Add required salt.
- Saute till raw smell completely leaves - drizzle little more oil of the masala becomes too dry.Then add cooked beans and toss it well.Saute for just 3 mins until the masalas coat well with beans.It shouldnt be dry, it should be slightly moist so switch off acordingly.
Serve hot / warm with rice and dal or with any variety rice.
- Dont add more water while cooking beans, Cook covered till the water is completely absorbed by the veggie.
- I made with french beans, you can use long beans too.
- Remove the fiber part before chopping the beans.
- Tempering with coconut oil is must for this recipe.
- Add cooked beans only the masalas raw smell completely leaves.
- Dont cook for more time after beans is added just toss around.
- The final dish should be moist and should have a glossy finish, it should not be dry.
Labels: Onam Sadhya Menu