Carrot Cheese Paratha is one of the regular stuffed paratha that I pack for mittus lunch so you guessed it right it will make its presence in the kids lunchbox series soon :) The idea of stuffing was given by PJ
during our casual talk and I loved the idea.It felt really good to find a food blogger here in the same city.......and we have started hanging out together and loved the props shopping we did few weeks back :)
First I was stuffing just cheese then started to combine veggies along with it to make it even more healthy and filling.I made it specifically for kids so made it very simple, you can add more spice powders or try other veggies too.
Carrot Cheese Paratha Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 3 mins / paratha | Makes : 5 parathas
Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Carrot - 2 small
Cheese - 1/3 cup
Roasted Jeera powder - 1 tsp
Chat Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil / Ghee - toast
Water - as required to form the dough
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
- In a wide mixing bowl add wheat flour, salt and first give a quick mix for salt to be even. Then add water little by little, gather to form a soft pliable dough.Once it is gathered to a mass add 1/2 tsp oil and knead it once.The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non sticky at this stage.Allow it to rest for a while until we prepare the stuffing.
- Trim the edges, scrap off the outer skin and grate the carrots.Dry roast grated carrot in a pan for 3-5mins.Then in a mixing bowl add carrot,grated cheese,roasted jeera powder and chat masala powder.
- Give a quick mix.Make equal sized balls with the chapathi dough and make it ready.Roll each ball into a thick circle,keep the stuffing in the middle seal it by pulling all the edges to the center as shown below.
- Seal it completely, flip over and sprinkle flour.
- Then roll it into a thin / thick parathas as per your preference, dust flour then and there to avoid sticking.Heat a dosa pan and carefully transfer the paratha, drizzle oil / ghee .Once it starts to bubble on one side.
- Flip over to other side and cook till brown spots appear here and there.It nicely puffs up like poori, just press it.
Serve it hot with plain curd or tomato sauce and garlic pickle....what else do you need?! Yum combo!! :)
- I usually keep 2 to 3 tsp stuffing for each paratha.
- I used 2 Amul cube cheese.
- You can replace cheese with paneer too.
- While rolling for the first time don't give more pressure in the center as the filling is going to be placed in the center and rolled again so make sure the center part is little thicker.
- Roll it thick or thin as per your preference but make sure the stuffing doesnt ooze out.
- You can even use capsicum along with carrot but make sure you chop it finely.Cabbage,beetroot can be other options too.
- I usually skip adding salt to the stuffing as cheese is already salty and in addition chat masala also has salt in it.
- You can even add fresh chopped mint or coriander leaves to the stuffing.
Labels: Kids Recipes, Rotis and Parathas