Cleaning prawns is a little time consuming process but its a must to remove the vein.The process of removing vein from prawns is called deveining....oh that sounds more like a definition right?! ;) I have been wanting to post this since long but me and nonveg always dont share a great bonding as you all know and hence the delay.I asked my mother to clean it and I clicked it :) Now let us check how to devein and clean prawns....hope beginners find it useful.
Check Prawn Gravy
that I posted long back.
- Take prawns in a bowl.I got it shell removed if you have shells then first take it out and then proceed.Take a prawn turn to the back side, you can see a vein black in color sometimes it looks grey or even greyish white.
- Use a small sharp knife to make a slit along the middle of the back.Pull out the vein and discard it.
- You can see all the vains here.Now the prawn is deveined and is ready.Rinse it with water 2-3 times.
- Add little turmeric powder and wash it once.Now cleaned prawns is ready to cook.
- We usually buy prawns without shells.
- Wash it well 2-3 times and for the final wash add turmeric powder and wash it.
- Sometimes the vein is greyish or greyish white in color so dont always look for the black vein.