I have tasted Aloo Bhujia quite a few times in small packs, hubby used to buy Haldirams Aloo Bhujia from his office canteen as mittu is fond of any sev variety.So I confidently tried it after seeing the Aloo Bhujia Recipe.This is a quick snack that you can even make for evening snacks when kids are back from school, yes its quick to make.The tanginess with potato flavour will sure be loved by kids so make this at home and surprise your kids and loved ones too :)
Aloo Bhujia Recipe - Ingredients
Besan Flour - 1/2 cup
Boiled Potato - 1 medium sized
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chat Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - to deep fry
Water - as required
: 5 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
: 1 cup
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
| Reference : Nisha
- Pressure cook potatoes for atleast 5 whistles so that its soft,Peel off the skin and cool down.In a mixer add the potatoes and grind it without adding water to a smooth paste.In a mixing bowl add besan flour,potato paste,chat masala powder,red chilli powder,required salt and pepper powder.I forgot to add turmeric powder so added in the next step.
- Add water little by little and knead to a soft dough.Take your omapodi / idiyappam press.
- Grease the murukku press with little oil, then fill the dough and start pressing.Press it directly into oil, do not overcrowd.Cook till the shh sound stops and is slightly golden.Remove it using a perforated laddle.Repeat the same till the entire dough finishes.
- Drain in tissue paper.Slightly crush sev with your hands so that it breaks, add chat masala powder.Mix well.
Cool down and then store in an airtight container.
- I used the press which has holes slightly bigger hole than our idiyappam press as aloo bhujia is a bit thicker than our traditional omapodi.
- Potato Sev cooks faster so be careful , it gets browned quickly.
- Cook in low medium flame and regulate heat as and when it goes high / low.
Labels: Diwali Savoury Snacks