I was craving for some hot bread sandwich for the past 2 days..now blame it on the climate or the sight of bread loaf lying around ;) I saw this
potato sandwich recipe quite interesting with a burst of flavours so decided to give a try.I skipped the cheese part and replaced it with white sauce, the sandwich was a great hit at home.Even amma who says no to sandwiches asked for second serving :) Now do I need any other reason to make this sandwich again?! :) This potato sandwich has easily become one of my favorite sandwich recipes that I've tried so far and am sure I am going to try with other veggie variations with this recipe.I have a love for sandwiches both made in sandwich maker and the tawa toasted ones, both tastes good in its own ways.
Check out other sandwich recipes that I've posted so far
Aloo Sandwich Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes : 4 sandwiches
Bread - 8 slices
Potato - 1 medium sized
Big Onion - 1 medium sized
Tomato 1 medium sized
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: World
For the marinade:Oil - 3 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
For the white sauce:Butter - 2 tsp
Maida(All Purpose Flour) - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1 cup
Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Pressure cook potato until soft(for 4 whistles), peel off the skin and slice them to 1/4 inch thickness.Then slice onions.
- Slice tomato and get ready with your veggies.Now in a mixing bowl add the ingredients listed under 'to marinade'.
- Mix well and set aside to marinate.Meanwhile prepare the white sauce.Heat butter once it starts to melt add maida and give a quick mix until it resembles sandy texture.
- Then add milk and keep cooking till it starts to thicken.Now add oregano and keep cooking until the sauce coats the back of a laddle,creamy and thick.Set aside to cool down.
- Now take your potato slices, dip it in the spice powder marinade and toast it in a dosa tawa till golden brown on both sides.Next coat onion slices with the spices mixture.
- And toast it till slightly browned.You can add raw tomato itself to your sandwich but I wiped off the remaining spice mixture and toasted it.
- Now the toasted veggies are also ready.Now spoon a generous mixture of prepared white sauce and spread it in 4 slices of bread.On one side of the bread add the toasted potato,onion and tomato slices.
- Close the sandwich with the other bread, press it slightly so that it gets sealed.Heat dosa tawa drizzle ghee and add one sandwich at a time and toast it till golden brown.Flip to other side and cook.While toasting just press the bread with a flat laddle to get the toast evenly browned as shown below.
Cut into half and Serve hot ....yummm!! Enjoy the spicy , creamy sandwich!!
- You can add any vegetable of your choice.Capsicum,cabbage are few of my suggestions.
- You can either toast and make sandwich and use sandwich maker.
- Toasting the veggies gives a great crunch to the sandwich.
- I used white bread, you can use wheat or multigrain bread too.
- Always use a flat laddle to press the sandwich while toasting , this ensures even browning.
- Make sure you cool down white sauce before you apply it.
- The white sauce thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- For the white sauce : I haven't added cheese, if you want add 2 tbsp of grated cheese after the milk starts thickening.
- This sandwich has to be served immediately else it will become soggy.
Labels: Bread based, sandwich recipes