This Kalakand Recipe is authentic and tastes just like the ones in sweet shops.Kalakand is one among the sweet recipes that I wanted to try for this Diwali 2014.I browsed around several recipes, checked few cookbooks too but I was not convinced as I wanted to a kalakand recipe to replicate the ones in sweet shops.So finally I tried the recipe from a small supplementary book that my perimma gave me years back.I modified the measures alone(as it was in gm measures) and tried .
I love kalakand for the grainy texture and milk flavour.This kalakand recipe came close to the one in sweet shops though the color of kalakand in shops in slightly on the brown shade but tastewise I am completely satisfied with the results.Also hubby who tasted the first one, gave a big thumps up and said its the best....happy me :) As you know I usually have this habit of trying recipes from scratch atleast for the first time, then I may take the short route ;) So that's the reason I made fresh paneer for kalakand, but I guess sure it makes a difference.
Preparation Time:15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes:10-12 pedas
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
To make paneer:
Milk - 3 cups
Curd - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Condensed Milk - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Saffron - 4 strands
Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
Pistachios - 5 chopped finely
- Boil 3 cups of milk, when its about to boil add curd and keep the flame to low.Keep mixing till the water seperates.
- Keep stirring until the whey separates completely.Now switch off.Filter the whey and collect it in a container(check my notes how to use whey water).Now collect the paneer.
- Wash it once in running cold water.Set aside.Now boil 1 cup of milk, simmer and let it become half in quantity.Then add condensed milk.
- Once the milk is reduced add paneer and sugar.
- Let it boil but keep in medium low else it will get burnt easily.Add cardamom powder.Once it gets thick like a whole mass, with bubbles at the edges,Switch off.Now spread this mixture in a plate and level it at the sides and top.Garnish with chopped pistachios and saffron strands.
- Refrigerate it for an hour.Then cut into pieces and serve.
- You can use whey water for kneading chapathi dough / for making rasgulla / for making paneer.
- Reduce milk and then add paneer else the mixture will take time to get thick by that time paneer will get tough.
- You can even use store bought paneer too but I recommend using homemade fresh paneer as it gives a great texture and taste.
- Do the entire process in medium low, else the mixture will easily get burnt.
- It is recommended to refrigerate the mixture for a while before you mark pieces so that you get clean neat pieces.
- You can even add saffron strands while the milk is boiling to get a kesar flavoured kalakand.
- Do not overcook, the mixture should be moist.
- Keeps well for 3 days but keep refrigerated.I haven't tried after 3 days so not sure.
- I used nonstick pan so it was easy for me as it does not stick much.
- Adding condensed milk gives a richness, flavour and mild color to kalakand which I recommend adding.
- If milk curdles, you can make best use of it but making this sweet :)
Labels: Easy Sweets