Enjoy making this crispy murkku for this Diwali, am sure everyone will love this crispy murukku esp kids! I made it small small so that its easy for kids to hold and eat and also I got more in quantity for the pics :)
Rava Murukku Recipe - Ingredients
Homemade Rice Flour / Readymade Idiyappam Flour - 1/2 cup
Rava(Sooji) - 1/4 cup
Butter - 1/2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Black Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - to deep fry
Water - as required
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 25 mins
: 15 small murukku
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
Reference : Smithas
- Grind rava to a fine mixture,Set aside.Boil water and when it starts to boil keep in low flame and add rava.
- When rava is fully cooked, switch it off.Make sure there are no lumps, cool down completely.In a mixing bowl add rice flour,cooked rava,red chilli powder,butter,sesame seeds and required salt.
- Add water little by little to form a smooth non sticky dough.I chose star press mould.
- Fill your murukku press with the dough and start pressing into small murukkus.I pressed it in a laddle and flipped it in oil.You can even press it directly into oil.
- Deep fry till redish golden browned.Drain in tissue paper.Repeat the process until the entire dough finishes.Drain in tissue paper.
Cool down then store in an airtight container.
- Make sure you cook rava without lumps else it will get stuck in the murukku press.Even if you see any lumps, discard them before you fill it in the murukku press.
- Take care while adding water as it might take only less water and cooked rava also will have moisture so add water carefully.
- You can either use homemade rice flour or readymade idiyappam flour.You dont need to roast the idiyappam flour for this murukku.I used Nirapara brand idiyappam flour.You can even use homemade rice flour if you have it ready.
- If you are comfortable and can handle the heat, you can press the murukku directly in oil.
- You can even add 2-3 murukkus at a time while frying.My kadai was small and I pressed small sized murukku so I added one/ two at a time.
- You can replace sesame seeds with jeera.You can use white sesame seeds too.
- Cook in low medium flame and regulate heat as and when it goes high / low.
Labels: Diwali Savoury Snacks, Diwali Special, murukku recipes