I made this Kollu Podi few months back and it was super hit at home and no one even realised it had kollu in it.I just used my idli podi recipe
with few adjustments for this kollu podi recipe and it turned out so good that I wanted to record it here with measurements.This podi can served be as idli podi or even mixed with rice and gingelly oil, it tastes so good.I usually make kollu sundal or rarely kollu rasam but now I have learnt another way to include kollu / horsegram in our daily diet.
After reading about horsegram health benefits and weight loss factors, my interest for trying new recipes with horsegram has increased so keep watching for more horsegram recipes in future :) Till then check out kollu chutney
that I posted sometime back.
I have few more recipes that I clicked long back so thought to post them all before this year ends :)
Kollu Podi Recipe - Ingredients
Horsegram - 1/2 cup
Chana Dal - 2 tbsp
Sesame Seeds - 3 tbsp
Dry Red Chilli - 6
Garlic - 5 cloves
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
Hing - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste(I used Rock Salt)
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
: around 1 and 1/2 cups
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
| Recipe Reference
Note* - I halved the recipe and tried
- Measure all your ingredients and keep it ready.Rinse horsegram and let it dry for few mins.Then in a pan add 1/2 tsp of oil and roast horsegram till nicely browned.Set aside to cool.
- Dry roast red chillies and chana dal till golden brown,Set aside.Then add garlic,curry leaves,hing and rock salt just saute for a minute and switch off.Then add sesame seeds and roast till slightly golden.
- Now let all the roasted ingredients cool down.Then grind it to a semi fine powder using a mixer.Cool down and store in airtight container.
Store in an airtight container.
- Rinse horsegram and let it dry then start the process.
- Make sure you cool down completely before you grind it.Also after grinding let it cool down before you store.
- Keeps well for about 2 months in room temperature itself.
- I used my dry mixer for grinding at home.If you are making in bulk then you can choose to give it in mill for grinding.
Labels: Homemade Podis, kollu recipes