Samai (Little millet in English, Sama in Telugu, Kutki in Hindi,Same in Kannada, Chama in Malayalam) is my one of the favorites among the millets I buy.I usually make kanji or this curd rice with millets like varagu and samai which is the best and actually there is no much difference in taste , it tastes just like our regular curd rice so this can be another healthy addition to your lunch menu.If you want to know more this millet check out the detailed millets post
. Check out more millet recipes
that I have already posted.
I will not be in town for the weekend so the lunchbox menu for this week will be skipped..Will get back to routine from Monday :)
Samai Thayir Sadam Recipe
Preparation Time:10minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:2
Samai(Little Millet) - 1/2 cup
Water - 2 cups
Curd - 3/4 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Carrot - 3 tbsp grated
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To temper:Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Split Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Green Chilli - 1 finely chopped
Ginger - 1/4 inch piece
- Boil water, add the millet and cook for few mins then cook covered till it the millet becomes soft and.
- Once water is all absorbed and the millet is soft switch off and set aside for few mins to cool down.Then take the millet in a mixing bowl and mash it first.Then add curd, then milk and mix it up well.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan and add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.Transfer the tempering to the the rice along with grated carrot,coriander leaves and required salt.Mix well.
Serve chilled and while serving garnish with leftover carrots and coriander leaves.
- If you like add chopped raw onion and cucumber too.
- If you are packing then add few tbsp of milk along with curd and mix well.
- If you prefer add little water and curd while mixing.
- Serve with pickle,mor milagai or any kuzhambu of your choice.
- You can try the same recipe with other millets like varagu, kuthiraivali kambu etc.
Labels: Millet Recipes