Its been a while since I posted millet recipes
. It is because I did not try anything new just make the usual upma
/ kanji. I had little cut veggies left out which can't be made as poriyal as the quantity was very less, so thought to try this soup.Also I wanted to use my blender which came as a attachment with my new handmixer that I bought a while back...So tried this soup with thinai / foxtail millet, we had it hot and it was soo good for this chill climate, our breakfast was fixed quickly with this soup and boiled sprouts.
This millet soup is very easy to make, just put all the ingredients and pressure cook it so its perfect to make for breakfast.
Millet Soup Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Thinai(Foxtail Millet) - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 and 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
Beetroot,Carrot and Beans - 1/4 cup chopped
Big Onion - 2 tbsp roughly chopped
Garlic - 2 roughly chopped
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Oregano / Mixed Herbs - 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Rinse the millet well,drain water and set aside.Chop the vegetables and make it ready.In a pressure cooker heat oil - add onion, garlic and saute till slightly browned.
- Then add the vegetables and saute for 5mins in low flame till raw smell leaves.Now add required salt,pepper and oregani and saute for 2mins.
- Add the millet and give a quick sir.Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 5 whistles in low medium flame.Once pressure releases open and cool down completely.Then add water.
- Then add milk.Mash it well with a laddle.I used my electric blender to blend it.
Serve hot with a generous sprinkle of pepper powder.
- The soup thickens faster so while serving you can add hot water / milk to make it runny.
- At the final stage use a hand blender or just mash it well with a laddle.Don't use a mixie to grind, it will make a paste which we don't want...also it will change the taste of the soup.
- Adding oregano / mixed herbs lifts the taste of this soup.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice.