Curry Leaves Rice is perfect for lunch or even for lunchbox.I have tasted curry leaves rice once when amma made it for lunch and I instantly loved it....that instant I decided to post it here. Yesterday I bought fresh curry leaves so thought to make curry leaves rice.I adapted the recipe from here
, it turned out so flavorful and good.This fits aptly for lunchbox, you can pair it up with some curry / kootu and vadams.
We just had my lunch with karruveppilai sadam,chow chow kootu and vadam, we had a hearty meal.As I loved the rice so much sat down immediately to edit the pictures and post it :)
Karuveppilai Sadam Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Rice - 1 cup
Tamarind - 1/2 tsp
Gingelly Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To roast and grind:
Curry leaves - 1 cup tightly packed
Coriander Seeds - 2.5 tbsp
Dry Red Chillies - 4
Channa dal - 2 tbsp
Fried Gram Dal - 1 tbsp
Whole Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Whole Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Gingelly Oil - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - 7 broken
- Rinse curry leaves well and dry it completely and keep it ready.Take all the ingredients listed under 'To roast and grind' except tamarind and curry leaves.
- Add a tsp of oil and roast till golden brown.Then add curry leaves and saute for 3-4mins until the color starts to change.Add required salt.Switch off.
- Cool down,add tamarind and grind it to a coarse powder,Set aside.In a tadka pan heat oil and ghee, add mustard seeds and hing, once it crackles add broken cashews ann fry till golden brown.
- Cook rice in the ratio 1:2.5 cups of water for 3-4 whistles in medium flame, cool down completely.Fluff the rice add gingelly oil.Now add the curry leaves powder and tempering, mix well.
Serve hot / warm with papads.
- You can even make the curry leaves powder in bulk and store.
- The above measure will be perfect for 1 cup of rice, but if you have extra store in airtight container and use it as sidedish for idli dosa, tastes great.
- Add gingelly oil to fluff the rice, gives great flavour.
- Saute curry leaves just till it starts to color change thats enough.Cool down completely then powder it.Once powdered it may look wet after sometime, it will be ok.
Labels: curry leaves, variety rice