Nel Pori Urundai and Aval Pori are the two popular recipes they make for Karthigai Deepam.I have made Pori Urundai
many times so now a bit confident with the consistency check.The consistency check is not that difficult ,it comes just by pracitise.So I bought a pack of Nel Pori and made this nel pori urundai to post it here.As Karthigai Deepam is on Dec 5th am sure all shops will be stocked up with all varieties of pori like arisi pori,aval pori and nel pori.You can check out Maa Vilakku Recipe
and all the Karthigai Deepam Recipes
that I posted a while back.
Nel Pori Urundai Ingredients:
Preparation Time : 10mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Makes : 9
Pori / Puffed rice - 3 and 1/2 cups
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/4 cup or little less(It should be just for the level of jaggery to immerse)
Cardamom powder - a generous pinch
Ghee - 1 tsp to grease hands
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Add 1/2 cup of water to jaggery and heat it up until it nicely bubbles and is thick more like honey in consistency. Strain to remove impurities and set the jaggery syrup aside.
- Remove the nel(the husk) from the pori and get it ready.
- Then heat up the jaggery syrup and let it to boil.Consistency check : Keep a seperate plate ready filled with little water.Take a drop of jaggery syrup and put it in water, if it gets dissolved as shown then let it boil for few more deconds.When the syrup is dropped in water, it should stand firm and not dissolve as shown below.
- It should form a nonsticky soft ball(uruttu padham) when you roll it with your fingers When this consistency is reached, add ghee,elachi powder.
- Add pori and switch off.Now stir well, so that pori gets completely coated with the jaggery syrup.
- By the time of stirring, the hotness would be hand bearable.Grease your palms with ghee or oil and roll them into tight balls taking care not to break the pori.
Store in airtight container and enjoy!
- Make sure to clean the nel pori first then start with the pori making process.
- Be careful in checking the consistency else making them into balls will be tough.
- Be little quick while shaping the balls.
- If it hardens in the end for the last few balls then heat up the mixture for a minute to loosen then make balls.
- The color of the pori urundai totally depends on the jaggery variety. The method is the same for making aval pori urundai and also kadala urundai.
Labels: Karthigai Deepam