I love thalicha sadam and whenever I have leftover rice I end up making this.Sometimes when I don't feel like having meals for lunch I just make this tempered rice just for myself and enjoy it.This is very quick to make and when had hot nothing can beat it.You don't need any sidedish for this rice but papad / vadam will be just perfect.
Though this recipe is very simple I wanted to post it as it might help atleast few.Hubby ordered this shell shaped plate without my knowledge and it was such a surprise to receive it yesterday.So the next moment the I saw it, I made this rice and clicked it... :)
Tempered Rice Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves : 2
Left Over Rice - 1 cup
Big Onion - 1 medium sized chopped finely
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Hing - a tiny pinch
Green Chillies - 1 slitted
Curry leaves - few
- Keep your left over rice ready.In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.Then add turmeric powder,hing and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Then add chopped onion and saute for 2mins.Add sambar powder(I forgot to add in the previous step so added it at this stage).Add required salt.
- Saute for a minute until onions turn slightly soft.Then add cooked rice and give a quick toss.
Serve hot with papad.
- If you are using fresh cooked rice then cool down completely then use it.
- You can replace sambar powder with garam masala powder.
- You can even add cooked vegetables along with rice.