I have already tried Jam Biscuits
and its mittus favorite.I was quite happy to see this recipe with whole wheat flour and no rising agents so bookmarked the recipe and reserved it for the list of my christmas bakes.Yes it is this time of the year when my oven gets really busy :) And the lil one kept asking for some cookies so that motivated me to more to try cookies for this Christmas.As I had already tried baking the cookies with jam, I chose this method of baking the cookies first then topping it with jam, it tastes delicious either ways.
Thumbprint Cookies Recipe - Ingredients
Whole Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup leveled
Maida - 1/4 cup leveled
Icing Sugar - 1/4 cup sugar + 2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
Unsalted butter(at room temperature) - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 20 mins
: around 15 cookies
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
| Recipe Reference
:Cook like Priya
- Take wheat flour, maida and salt in a bowl, whisk it well,Set aside.Beat butter first then add sugar.
- Beat it well till sugar gets dissolved.Then add vanilla essence and beat once.Now add flour little by little and start beating.
- Once it resembles a crumbly mixture, stop beating and gather it with your hands to form a smooth dough.Now scoop out using the measuring spoon(I used 1/2 tbsp)
- Line a butter paper on the baking tray.Make balls,place it on the tray and slightly flatten it then using your thumb make impressions in the center as shown below.Alternatively you can use a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon or any curved base spoon.Preheat oven at 170 deg C for 10mins.
- Make impression like this.Repeat this for the remaining dough also.Bake it as 170 deg C for 15 mins or until the base turns slightly browned.Cool down completely atleast for 30mins.
- While the cookies are baking you can make your jam ready.I used pineapple and mixed fruit jams.Double boil a vessel and to this add the jam and melt it, keep stirring for 3-4 minutes for the jam to melt slightly, this helps to easily spoon the jam.
- When the cookies are still warm, add the jam in the impression we made.
Cool down and store in airtight container.
- You can even spoon the jam and bake it as I have already tried in my jam cookies.But if you are planning to bake the cookies along with jam then make sure you add very little jam else it will ooze out while getting baked.
- I used jam as topping, you can use nutella or chocolate or choco chip or anything of that sort a per your liking.
- Do not knead the dough just bring it together to form a dough
- Don't wait till the color of the cookies to change, just stop when it starts to brown on the edges.Do not overbake else the cookies will become hard.
- The orginal recipe used 1/4 almond meal , I used maida instead.
- You can replace whole wheat flour with maida.I am really not sure of the outcome if we use fully wheat flour.
- If you are using salted butter then skip salt.
- While making impression make it a little deep as while baking it rises up.
- If the dough doesn't come together then add little milk say 1-2 tsp not more than that.
- These cookies keeps well for 3-4 days in room temperature.
- Make sure to add jam when the cookies are still warm, so that jam sticks well to the cookies.
Labels: Christmas Cookies, Christmas Recipes