Baby Corn Rice is my recent experiment for mittus lunchbox and it came back so clean without even a grain of rice left out and thats what I want to see everyday.I usually make baby corn pulao
and she never complains but one fine morning I was lazy to do the grinding part for the pulao so thought to try this easy baby corn rice as I knew it will be a winner as baby corn 65 is her favorite.Now this has become her fav lunchbox menu.I made it very mild to suit my lil one you can adjust the masala as per your liking, check my notes for more variations.
Once when I had little leftover after packing her lunchbox I served it for amma, at once she said "So if its for your daughter you go the extra mile to try something new and delicious" I proudly said Yes its all that I have learnt from you! :) She even started teasing me by telling hubby that "we are just served a simple pulao and the lunchbox is packed with all delicacies...." hubby smiled as he already knew this ;) So the next day I made this baby corn rice again for the whole family to enjoy and that includes me as well :D
Baby Corn Rice - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 2
Baby Corn - 8 small
Big Onion - 1 small finely chopped
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cooked Basmati Rice - 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves - 1 tsp finely chopped just for garnish
Oil - to deep fry
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 2 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds powder - 1/2 tsp
Elachi powder - 1/4 tsp
To be made into a batter:
Maida - 2 tbsp
Rice Flour - 2 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Cooking soda - a pinch (optional)
Salt- to taste
- Trim the edges and slice the baby corn as shown.Pressure cook baby corn along with soaked basmati rice for 3 whistles with required water.I used 1:1.5 rice:water ratio for rice and added water just till immersing level of baby corn.
- Once cooked, take the baby corn , strain water and reserve it.In a mixing bowl add the ingredients listed under 'to marinade', add reserved baby corn stock water and make a slightly thick paste not too thick.
- Add baby corn and mix well.In a dosa tawa / pan toast till golden brown.Set aside.
- Fluff the rice and set aside.Take pepper powder,elachi powder and fennel seeds powder, and add it to preheated oil, let it splutter.
- Then add onion and fry till it becomes transparent, then add garam masala powder and required salt.Now add toasted baby corn and toss it well.
- Add cooked rice and toss it once.Keep covered and cook for 5 mins in low flame.Then garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve with any of your favorite curry.
- I pressure cooked both rice and baby corn together to save time in the morning while packing for lunch.As its for the little one, I usually cook until soft.But if you prefer baby corn to be more crunchy then just parboil it.
- Don't make the batter too thick, we just need a thin coating for baby corn.
- You can deep fry baby corn too.
- You can even add tomato while sauting onion and add more masala powders.
- You can even add garlic along with onions while sauteing.
- Adjust spice level according to your liking.
- I soaked the rice for 30 mins then pressure cooked to yield soft rice.
Labels: Baby Corn Recipes