Basundi is a rich creamy delicacy made with thickened milk.To me basundi always reminds me of my childhood days spent with my thatha, he goes crazy after sweets and I have taken his genes completely when it comes to sweets.I have been with him to rotary meetings so many times and we used to wait for the dessert part , once they served basundi and that was the best basundi I've every tasted till now, the taste still lingers.So when I planned to post basundi according to me chiroli nuts is a must so I got a pack of chiroli nuts to make this rich delicacy.
Actually I made this basundi to post for Diwali but since I was pressed for time I couldn't post it so here I am with this special recipe for New Year!! Yes I waited for the clock to strike 12' to post this :)
Wishing you all a very happy New Year 2015!!
Basundi Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves : 2
Milk - 1/2 liter(2 cups)
Sugar - 4 tbsp
Condensed milk - 2 tbsp
Chopped Nuts(pista,cashews,almonds) - 1.5 tbsp
Chiroli Nuts - 2 tbsp
Saffron - 3 strands
Powdered Nuts - 1 tsp(optional)
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Chop the nuts and get it ready.I had some leftover nuts powdered after making this ladoos so used that also, but thats purely optional.
- Take a pan - add milk and simmer it till it is reduced to almost half.It may take atleast 20mins so keep stirring in between so that it doesnt get burnt at the bottom.Now add condensed milk to it and whisk it well.Keep stirring to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Crush saffron strands and add it.The color of milk will change to slightly yellow color, after saffron is added, let it boil for atleast 5-7mins in low flame.You can see malai forming,Keep stirring.Now add sugar and whisk it well.Scrap the sides.
- Once milk is thick and creamy with malai formed add the nuts and let it simmer for 2mins.
- Add nuts powder along with cardamom powder.Once it is thick and creamy switch off.As it cools downs it may get more thick.Chill it for atleast an hr.
- Use a thick bottomed vessel, I used my non stick pan.
- Don't use saffrons more, it will be over powerful and will spoil the taste.
- The addition of condensed milk gives a nice flavour and richness to basundi.
- You ca skip chiroli nuts if you don't have it, but I strongly recommend adding it as its main ingredient for basundi to get that apt traditional taste...ok tats according to me :)
- Make sure to scrap the sides which will make basundi thick and give a great creamy texture.
Labels: Diwali Sweets, FestiveSpecials, milk sweets