Capsicum Gravy is a quick and easy side dish that you can make when you run out of veggies and this gravy has no tomato garlic also so I was quite impressed with this recipe that it pushed me to try it at once.
I also checked with PJ about the taste and she confidently said her lil angel's lunchbox came back empty with this capsicum gravy as sidedish so what more do I need...I was very confident that this gravy would sure be tasty and yes it was.If you love the nutty flavour am sure you are going to love this gravy for sure as we did!
Capsicum Gravy Recipe - Ingredients
Capsicum - 1/2 cup cubed(I used colored capsicum)
Onion - 1 tbsp cubed
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil- 1.5 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 20 mins
| Recipe Cuisine
: Indian | Recipe Reference
To grind to a paste:Sesame seeds - 3 tsp
Peanuts - 1 tbsp
Cashewnut - 1/2 tbsp
Coconut - 1/8 cup
To temper:Oil - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Get all your ingredients ready first.Now dry roast sesame seeds till golden, set aside , then toast peanuts until brown spots appear here and there, set aside to cool.
- Then toast coconut till there is no moisture content, do not let the color change,Set aside to cool.Now add cashews and dry roast it 2mins and allow it to cool down.Transfer the ingredients to the mixer.
- Add little water and grind it a smooth paste,Set aside.Now in a pan heat oil add capsicum and onion and fry for 3mins,Set aside.Now in the same pan add little more oil and add jeera let it crackle.
- Then add the coconut paste , add little water and let it boil for 2mins.Then add red chilli and garam masala powder along with pepper powder.Add required salt.
- Add required water as it becomes thick.Check for salt and adjust at this stage.Simmer and let it boil for 5mins. Add toasted onion capsicum stir well.Now garnish with corainder leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with rice or roti(phulka)!
- If the gravy tends to thicken add water accordingly.
- The gravy thickens even more on resting, just thin it by adding little hot water while serving.
- This is very mild in spice as I made it keeping kids lunchox in mind.You can increase red chilli powder if you want a more spicy gravy.
- You can even add green chillies while grinding.
- You can even add kasoori methi at the final stage.
Labels: sidedish for chapathi