Dahi Vada is nothing but North Indian version of curd vada also called as Dahi Bhalla.Dahi Vada Recipe is a popular North Indian snack made with urad dal fritters soaked in sweetened curd along with the chaat chutneys. I have already posted Curd Vada
and the Chaat Style Curd Vada
, so Dahi Bhalla was on my 'totry' list too.Hubby and me both of us love chaats, now who doesn't like?! :) And dahi puri is always my fav and I love all curd based chaats so this dahi vada is always my favorite.
I clicked this Dahi Vada when I had leftover chaat chutneys after making Aloo Tikki Chaat
and it was waiting for me to edit and find its place here.
Here we go with the ingredients getting ready for Dahi Vada Chaat? Are you ready to dive in for a weekend indulgence?! :)
Dahi Vada Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 4 hrs | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes : 2 to 3 plates
Thick Curd (Yogurt) - 1 cup
Sweet Chutney - 1/4 cup
Green Chutney - 1/4 cup
Red Chilli Powder - just for sprinkling
Chat Masala Powder - just for sprinkling
Cashews, Raisins - 1/2 tbsp each
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
For the vada: Whole Urad Dal - 1/2 cup(deskinned)
Green chilli - 1
Ginger - 1/4 inch piece
Salt - to taste
Water - as required
Oil - to deep fry
- Rinse whole urad dal well.Soak urad dal for 3-4 hours. Drain water and keep aside (I usually drain the water completely and then sprinkle little by little while grinding, doing so you can be sure of the quantity of water).Now grind it to a fluffy texture along with ginger and green chillies in a grinder sprinkling water now and then. Dont add much water as the batter will become runny.The batter should be thick and fluffy as shown,add required salt and mix well.Now add raisins and chopped cashews to the batter.
- Mix well and Set aside.Meanwhile add sugar to curd and beat it well.Add little water to make it little runny so that its pourable.
- Heat oil....Wet your hands and take lemon sized balls and drop it carefully into oil.You can fry upto 3-4 balls at a time depends on the size of your kadai.Flip around and deep fry till golden brown.Drain in tissue paper.
- Then add the vadas to hot water,remove it immediately - this is to make the vadas soft and make it absorb curd well, also it helps in removing extra oil.Now squeeze using 2 laddles to remove extra water.
- Arrange the vadas in a plate may be 4-5 vadas.Then pour curd over it.Add green chutney and sweet chutney.Then sprinkle sev, red chilli powder and chat masala and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Never use sour curd,that's the key to make perfect curd vada.
- Also grinding the batter in grinder gives a more fluffy vada but if you are in a hurry then mixer is ok too but there will be difference in the vada texture.
- Soaking urad dal for more time say 4-5hrs makes the vadas absorb less oil.
- You can even dip the vadas in milk instead of hot water.
- The above mentioned recipe yields 3-4 plates of 4 vadas / plate.
- Adding chat masala powder gives a nice tangy taste to the chaat.
- Use chilled curd.
- I used store bought set curd, it was very thick so I added little water to make it runny.
- Add sweet chutney and green chutney generously. I like sweet chutney so add a little more, depends on your preference.
Labels: Chat Items, North Indian