I wanted to try millet sakkarai pongal after trying the savory version
.Last month end I had few leftovers of Varagu(Kodo millet)
so decided to make sakkarai pongal.I love all varieties of sweet pongal so I treated myself with this sweet pongal and made savory version for hubby.
Wishing you all a very Happy Pongal 2015!!
Millet Sweet Pongal Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Varagu - 1/4 cup
Samai - 1/4 cup
Moong Dal - 2.5 heaped tbsp
Milk - 1/8 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
(or) Jaggery Syrup
- 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (for roasting cashews,raisins)
Grated Coconut - 1 tbsp(optional)
Cloves - 2(optional)
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Cashews - 10 broken
Raisins - 15
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.
- Dry roast the millets along with moong dal till slightly golden.Then rinse it well and cook it with enough water till its soft.
- It should be mashable,Set aside.Fry cloves in ghee, then fry cashews and raisins till golden.
- Now add the jaggery syrup and mix well.Let it boil for 2 mins so that jaggery gets nicely blended with the it.
- Now add milk and cook for 3mins.Finally add ghee,give a quick mix and garnish with ghee fried cashews and raisins.
Serve hot with ghee drizzled and remaining cashews and raisins.
- You can even use pressure cooker for cooking it.As millets cook faster I chose to cook in the earthernware itself.
- You make cook the millets and moongdal together then half it to make sweet pongal and the savory version this way its very easy.
- You can use any millet of your choice.I had varagu and samai little leftover so thought to finish it up.
- Pongal gets thicker in consistency after cooling down so switch off accordingly. If it gets dry, while serving add little ghee and milk.
- I used paagu velam to get the dark brown color and also for the taste....You can use normal round jaggery too.
- You can also use saffron if you like the flavour.
- Drizzle ghee and garnish with cashews,raisins while serving, tastes yumm!!
Labels: Millet Recipes, varagu recipes