This Capsicum Chutney Recipe was given to me by my friend Ganga, she watsapped me the recipe last month and only now I got to try this recipe.Okay I admit the new kutty bucket that Padmaja and me bought, urged me to try a chutney and click using it :) It is always nice to a have a blogger friend nearby and going prop shopping with bloggers of the same wavelength is absolute fun.We forget ourselves amidst the color color bowls,plates,napkins etc....We had a great time shopping together and we even promised to do it in the near future too.....Hope people at home don't chuck us out seeing the baggage of props we bring in home each time we go shopping together haha :)
Now coming to this capsicum chutney.....I underestimated this chutney when I made it...just before clicking thought to taste it to adjust salt, it was a bit spicy for my tastebuds but the taste was soo good.We had it with idlis for breakfast and had little leftover which I had it with chapathi for dinner.
Ganga, Thank you so much for the recipe! Now this is going to be my keeper for capsicum chutney.
Capsicum Chutney Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 5 mins | Serves : 2
Capsicum - 1 (mine was a small one - 3/4 cup cubed)
Dry Red Chillies - 2
Chana Dal - 2 tbsp
Jeera 1 tsp
Tamarind - 1 tsp
Coconut - 2.5 tbsp
Coriander leaves - a tiny bunch
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
- Clean capsicum, remove the stem and the inner seeds part. I used a small capsicum that I had.Chop into cubes and set aside.Heat oil in a kadai - add jeera let it splutter then add channa dal and red chillies.
- Fry till dal turns golden , then add capsicum and saute till it shrinks in volume, this may take just 3mins.
- Then add coconut,tamarind ,coriander leaves and switch off.Transfer the ingredients to a mixer jar,cool down and then grind it to a paste along with little water and required salt.
- Now heat oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter.Pour this tempering to the chutney mix well.
Serve with hot idlis / crispy dosas.
- For me it was a s bit spicy so may be next time I will add just 1 red chilli.As mu capsicum was small the chutney was a bit spicy.If you take a medium sized capsicum then this 2 red chillies will be ok I guess.
- This chutney keeps well for 2 days when refrigerated.
- Select fresh juicy capsicum for this chutney.
- No need to saute after coconut is added just switch off and give a saute.