These Little Heart Cookies is the one I planned for Valentines Day, I saw this recipe in a cookie book that I bought recently.I always wanted to try heart cookies ...when I saw a cute claydough mould in mittus claybox, I asked her to lend me...first she hesitated but after tempting her with heart cookies she agreed to give it to me....It was some few months back and I totally forgot about it.But ever since she gave me the mould, she kept on asking me to make heart cookies.So no better day than valentines day to try out a new cookie recipe . I don't have a proper pink food color, I spent almost 30mins in mixing 2 colors to get a perfect pink color that I wanted so that was the only difficulty that I felt in making these cookies...but it was worth it, they just melt in the mouth and the cute pink color sure will tempt anyone.
The cookies are not very crisp more like shortbread cookies with eggs....I loved the mild egg flavour which was there in the cookies.If you want to try a eggless version try shortbread cookies
or sugar cookies
Wuuff....I am feeling soo sleepy that I am going to take a nap before mittu is back from school.I am waiting to hear from you all , so do try these cookies and let me know how you liked it.
Little Heart Cookies Recipe
Preparation Time:20 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes:50 to 60 small cookies
Maida - 1 cup (125 gms)
Icing sugar - 1/2 cup heaped (65 gms)
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Egg - 1
Unsalted butter - 50 gms
Vanilla essence - 1/8 tsp
Pink Food color - 2 drops
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Take icing sugar and butter in a bowl, whisk it well until creamy,Set aside.Use butter at room temperature, I had to wait for sometime as my butter was straight out from the fridge then whisk it.In another bowl,take an egg.
- Using a electric beater or handwhisk beat till frothy.Cool down completely then add the egg mixture to cream butter and whisk it well.
- In another bowl take flour,baking powder and a pinch of salt and whisk it well, You can sieve it once for even mixing.Now seperate egg butter mixture into 2 bowls.In one bowl add pink food color and essence.
- Whisk it well.Then add half of maida and gather to form a smooth dough.
- In another bowl containing egg butter sugar mixture, add vanilla essence and remaining flour, mix well and gather to form a smooth dough.
- Cling wrap them seperately and put it in the fridge for atleast 30mins.Now take out,unwrap the cling film and start rolling.Lay a butter paper underneath then roll over it.Cut with desired cookie cutter, now see who is helping me :) While are almost done with cutting the cookies, Preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.
- Lay butter paper in the baking tray.Carefully place the cookies on it.Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 12-15mins but not more than that.Turn over to check it , if its golden brown then the cookies are baked.Cool on wirerack and then store it.
- While the first batch is baking you can cut for the vanilla cookies for the second batch.I made some vanilla cookies and use both the leftovers, mixed them together to form marbled effect and cut out few marble cookies too.
- Bake the cookies at 180 deg C for 12-15mins or until the edges turn golden brown.Cool on wirerack then store in airtight container.
Cool down and then store in airtight container.Serve warm with a glass of milk or as a tea time snack.
- If the dough doesn't hold together then sprinkle an extra tsp of water/milk.
- I didn't add any essence for the pink cookies.....if you like add rose essence or strawberry essence.
- The cookie seems to be soft when take out of the oven, but don't be tempted to overbake.After cooling down it will become crispy.
- Cookies stay good for a week or even more.
- Make sure to cool the eggs after beating, after that add it to butter sugar mixture.
- I was skeptical how to measure it exactly half but just an eyes measure was good to go.
- You can even make marble cookies as I have shown or just plain vanilla cookies, its your preference.
- I am not sure of egg substitutes here.
Kids will sure relish these cookies, they just melt in your mouth and am sure you can't stop with one.I pledged to myself saying that I will just taste one cookie but sadly I couldn't keep up at it....ended up munching a lot more ;)
Labels: Cakes and Cookies, cookies with eggs