I have seen Phool Makhana in supermarkets but held back myself as not being so familiar with it and not sure how it would taste, whether my family will like it or will the huge packet be kept idle...with these many questions, my mind never let me to pick these.But last weekend on our monthly grocery shopping I took these cornering all my questions aside and the next day I made this quick and easy snack, to my surprise everyone at home loved it including the lil one...Yayy!! And I couldn't stop munching them, quite an addictive snack I can say!
Phool Makhana to be in simple it is nothing but dried lotus seeds , it is called Foxnuts.Phool Makhana is very famous in North India during Vrat Season for making kheer, sabji or just roasting it for snacking.It is considered to be very healthy as its low in saturated fats and cholestrol content, Isnt that nice to hear you don't need to feel guilty while you munch on these super healthy crunchy roasted phool makhana, it tastes a bit like popcorn but I tell you this is more tasty and healthier...and yes you can prepare it in just 10mins.
This roasted makhana is crispy and crunchy perfect with a sip of coffee...you can even make it for your kids when they are back from school.I just toasted and tossed it with my favorite spices.
Phool Makhana Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 5 mins | Serves : 2
Phool Makahana - 1.5 heaped cups
Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala powder -1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil / Ghee - 2 tsp
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
- Measure and take phool makhana, set aside.Heat ghee a pan - add the makhana and start roasting it.
- Roast it till golden and if you want to verify if its done, just pop one or 2 in your mouth it should be crispy then its done else roast for some more time.Then get ready with all your spice powders.Add turmeric powder and toss it well.
- Now add the spice powders and toss it well.We don't want the spice powders to burn so just toss it well and don't cook for more time.Switch off.
Cool down completely then store in airtight container.
This is how Phool Makhana looks straight from the packet!
- If you are roasting in bulk then I suggest to roast it in batches so that its evenly puffed and roasted.
- I underplayed the spices to suit my kid, you can plus or minus the spice level as per your liking.
Labels: healthy snacks, phool makhana recipes