Beetroot Pulao is my friends recipe, I made it for todays lunch and paired it with a simple onion raita.My friend watsapped me this recipe, coincidentally one of my reader sent recipe for beetroot rice so thought to try pulao first then go ahead with rice to keep up the demand for beetroot recipes.I am sure those who hate beets will also have this pulao without any complaints, yes hubby who sighs seeing beets loved the pulao and gave a thumps up.This can best be suited for lunchbox for office goers and for kids do try this easy pulao.
Thank you Raji for the beautiful bowls and other gifts too :) I couldn't wait to click using them so chose a recipe today to suit these bowls ;)
Beetroot Pulao Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Beetroot - 3/4 cup finely chopped
Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Big onion - 1 small sized finely chopped
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Channa Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Water - 1 and 1/2 cups
Coriander leaves - 1 tsp finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch stick
Cloves - 2
Cardamom - 1
To grind to a coarse paste:Small Onion - 5
Green Chilli - 1
- Take a mixer and grind small onion and green chili to a coarse paste.I used 5 small onions which was big so halved them.Chop beets into small cubes, remove peas from shell rinse the veggies and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil + ghee - add cinaamon,cloves and cardamom, let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste , onion chilli paste.Fry till raw smell leaves.Saute in low flame for atleast 3mins.
- Then add chopped onion and fry till it turns transparent.Then add chana masala powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder.Fry the masala well for 5mins.
- Then add beetroot and peas and saute in low flame for 2mins.Add required salt.I soaked rice for 30mins.
- Drain water and add the rice and give a quick saute till the masalas are nicely coated with the rice.Then add water.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.Once pressure releases fluff the rice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot / warm!
- Soaking rice helps in cooking faster and gives a nice fluffy texture.
- You can even cook this pulao in pan, but adjust water accordingly.It may require atleast 2.5 cups of water.
- Take care to add the spice powders only after the raw smell of onion garlic leaves.
- This rice is very mild and less spicy.You can play with spice as you prefer.It depends on the sweetness of the beets.
- Adding chana masala powder gives a extra flavour, but if you don't have it just go ahead only with garam masala powder.You can replace chana masala powder with pav bhaji masala powder.
Labels: beetroot recipes, pulao recipes