Carrot Kootu Recipe is from amma, I love carrot kootu even when I was reluctant in touching veggies.Now mittu takes after me, she loves to have this with rice and ghee.Today I made this carrot kootu after such a long time so thought to blog it as well, I also planned a lunchbox menu with this for this weekend post :) You can feed this kootu even for babies who are starting solid foods, just skip coconut part and proceed.
Carrot Kootu Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Carrot - a and 1/2 cups finely chopped
Moong Dal - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Toor Dhal - 2 tbsp
Big Onion - 1 small sized chopped finely
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To grind together:
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Oil -1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1/2 tsp
Hing(Perungayam) - a generous pinch
Curry leaves - few
Green chillies - 1 chopped roughly
- Dry roast moong dal till golden brown.Pressure cook both the dals with 1 cup of water,salt and turmeric powder, Cook until mushy and soft. Mash it well with a laddle and set aside.
- Grind together coconut and jeera with little water to a fine paste.Chop carrots finely and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dhal, green chillies and curry leaves.Let it splutter, then add onion and hing saute till onion turns transparent.Then add required salt and chopped carrot.
- Saute for few mins until raw smell leaves.Then add cooked dal water alone and required water.
- Cook till carrot turns soft.By then the water would have been absorbed too now add dal and let it boil for 2mins.
- Then add the coconut paste and allow it to boil till it becomes thick.Switch off and serve with hot rice.
Serve hot with rice!
- Add the coconut paste only after the veggie is cooked.
- The curry will thicken with time so switch it off accordingly.
- You can also replace toor dhal with chana dal too.But adding a combination of dal gives nice flavour to the kootu.
Labels: carrot recipes, Veggies