Happy Tamil New Year 2015!
Mango Pachadi is a must recipe for Tamil New Year.I have already posted a version of Maanga Pachadi
, this recipe is just a variation amma makes but wanted to jot down as a separate post and this Tamil New Year is the occasion for it.
You can check out other Tamil New Year Recipes
and Payasam Recipes
that I posted earlier.
Mango pachadi Recipe
Preparation Time:10 minutes | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves:3
Raw mango - 1 medium sized (2 cups chopped)
Powdered Jaggery - 1/2 cup heaped
Salt - as required
Rice flour - 1 tsp mixed with 3 tsp water
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Pachadi | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To Temper:Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 2
Curry leaves - few
Hing(perungayam) - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level, I used 1/4 cup) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.
- Wash the raw mango well, trim the edges. Chop them into cubes.Discard the seed part.
- Take chopped mango in pan along with water till immersing level.Let it cook for few mins until mangoes become soft.Add jaggery syrup.
- Let it cook for 5mins in simmer.Add required salt.When the mangoes are nicely blended with the jaggery syrup, you can start with tempering in parallel.In a tadka pan heat oil - add mustard seeds,red chillies,hing and curry leaves let it splutter, keep it ready.
- Add rice flour paste, and let it boil in low flame for 2mins.Then add the tempering, mix well and switch off.
Serve warm with rice and sambar.
- Adjust jaggery syrup according to the sourness of raw mango.
- I used kili mooku maanga.You can use any variety.
- Adding rice flour paste is also optional, it is just to give thickness to the curry.
- This keeps well for 3 days if refrigerated.
- If you prefer to peel off the skin of raw mango then peel it.You can even add mango seed but i usually discard it.Amma adds it attimes.
Labels: Mango Recipes, tamil new year recipes