Paal Ice - Have you tasted Paal Ice/ Milk Ice?! It is one among my favorites.I have seen and tasted Paal Ice during my school days where we get these from small thallu vandi(small cart) vendors, they used ring a special bell stopping at each house which would alarm all kids to come out to buy ice pops.After that I haven't seen or tasted paal ice not really sure whether paal ice now exists.Also now I am scared to expose mittu to these street selling ice pops, as I am not confident about the water they use.So thought to try paal ice for her at home.Paal ice which I tasted was creamy but am sure they would not have used any expensive and rich ingredients like condensed milk etc.....Having been successful with cornflour to get the creamy texture, I decided to use cornflour and the end result was great.
I hope regular readers know about my popsicle mania so I am enjoying making different popsicle varieties this summer and mittu is enjoying eating them :) Of all the popsicles tried so far for this summer, this paal ice and rose milk ice tops the list.Mittu always asks me to use the popsicle lids seeing me use icecream sticks, so this time to fulfill her wish I used the color color lids which came with my popsicle moulds.
Paal Ice Recipe
Preparation Time:8 hrs | Processing Time : 10 mins | Makes:4 popsicles
Milk - 2 cups
Cornflour - 2 tsp
Water - 2 to 3 tsp
Milk Powder - 2 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Recipe Category: Popsicles | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Take milk in a pan and boil it.Meanwhile in a bowl add cornflour and milk powder with little water to make a smooth paste.
- Boil milk in simmer, let it simmer till it shrinks a little.Now add cornflour milk powder mixture, add sugar.Keep stirring.
- Then add cardamom powder and stir well.At one stage it will become creamy but not too thick like custard.
- You can still pour it but will be creamy.At this stage switch off and cool down.Once it cools down completely,pour it into popsicle moulds till 3/4th.
- Close it with a lid and freeze for atleast 8 hrs or overnight.Next day take it out and carefully show the outer surface under running tap water.Carefully pull out the popsicles.
- Dont have a popsicle mould?! dont worry use disposable plastic cups or even thick paper cups cling wrap aluminium foil and us icecream sticks and freeze it.It demoulds easily or you can even cut the cups to get the popsicles out.
- There can be many variations to this paal ice, you can add a tsp of vanilla essence to get vanilla flavour or crush few saffron strands and add it.I tried vanilla essence for 2 popsicles and it was like eating vanilla milkshake , yes I loved it :)
- Make sure to cool down the milk mixture completly before adding it to the mould.
- You can even insert icecream sticks, thats the way they sell in thallu vandi.
- Freezing for atleast 8 hrs is required but I kept it overnight.
- For easy demoulding - show the popsicle moulds in warm water, then pull the stick out slowly to get the ice pops clean.
- I used milk powder for extra flavour, but you can skip that if you want.