Corn Cheese Balls is a perfect starter recipe and will be loved by all age groups and kids will love it for sure as it has the best combination of sweet corn and cheese in it.When mittus holidays started I had few recipes in mind and one among them was this corn cheese balls.It was a double bonanza for me to click pictures and serve her favourite too.As its raining here, there is a excuse for deep fried snacks now. :)
Few weeks back, I tried it and it was super flop as the balls started to disintegrate when I dropped them into oil and few balls which came out whole also had so much oil absorbed, but thank god I tried with a very little quantity.I trashed it and tried again immediately but this time recollected the mistakes I did last time, and voila corn cheese balls came out so good, as in restaurants that everyone at home loved it.
Corn Cheese Balls Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Makes : 30 balls
Sweet Corn - 1 cup
Grated Cheese - 1/3 cup
Potato - 1 medium sized
Maida - 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp
Cornflour - 1.5 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 3/4 tsp
Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Bread Crumbs - as needed
Salt - to taste
Recipe Category: Starter | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Rinse potatoes, cut into half and Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.Peel off the skin,and mash it well.Set aside.Pressure cook sweet corn for 5 whistles with little salt and required water.Drain water completely and set aside.
- In a blender, add corn and blend it to a coarse mixture.Do this in batches and collect in a bowl.Add mashed potato,grated cheese,1 tbsp maida,cornflour,red chilli powder,garam masala powder,pepper powder,oregano and required salt.
- Mix well to form a thick dough.Shape them into balls and arrange them in a plate.I just made few balls for click sake and reserved the rest for later use.
- Take 2 tbsp maida in a bowl , add little water and make a thick paste.Dip each ball in the maida mixture coat it well.Then dip it in breadcrumb mixture.Roll over to make sure it is coated evenly.
- Heat oil, deep fry the balls in oil till golden brown.Fry in batches, I used my small pan so fried just 3-4 balls at a time.Drain in tissue paper.
Serve hot !
- Make sure there is no moisture in the corn while grinding.
- If you feel the dough is watery, then add little more cornflour and maida. Do not add more cornflour and maida it will make the balls tight and hard.
- The main thing to note down is the dough consistency.If its too thick then after frying the balls will become hard, if its loose it will disintegrate in oil and will not hold its shape.
- Dipping in maida paste ensures even coating of breadcrumbs.
- I used fresh sweet corn, you can use frozen too.If its frozen then just thaw and boil it for few mins, thats enough.
- If the corn is whole while frying it may pop out so be careful and be at a safer distance.
- The spices used are purely your preference.I just experimented with indian spices with oregano and pepper powder.With just pepper powder and oregano it would be very bland as sweetcorn and cheese are also very subtle in taste.
- For a more cheesy richer version, use 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- I used a combination of mozarella cheese and cube cheese.
- You can make the dough before hand and then fry whenever needed.If refrigerated the dough will keep well atleast for a day.
- You can add a handful of chopped coriander leaves too.
Labels: Starters, Sweet Corn Recipes