Kumbakonam Degree Coffee - The making of this coffee is much similar to our usual filter coffee
recipe except for a slight variation in method and making which elevates the taste to the next level.To me this coffee tastes more like Annapoorna Filter Coffee, so all hotel filter coffee lovers do give this a try am sure you will fall for it.
Kumbakonam Degree Coffee concentrates much to the purity of undiluted milk used in the preparation of the coffee than the coffee powder.They actually use a lactometer to check the purity of milk and that the reason they have named it as degree coffee, also called as meter coffee.Another explanation for degree coffee is that chicory beans were used to make the coffee. The South Indian pronunciation of chickory became chigory then digory and finally degree.The right way to make Kumbakonam Degree Coffee is to first add sugar, top it with decotion and finally pour milk, then pour between tawara tumbler to serve the coffee frothy. Also milk is boiled in double boiler, this way the milk will remain hot at the same time it will not get burnt at the bottom and also get thick while boiling.
Kumbakonam Degree Coffee is served in brass tawara tumbler in shops, so I went in search of it and finally got it last year itself, then I wanted coffee bean for the clicks which hubby got it but still kept on postphoning for no reasons.But finally today I woke up by the sight of this degree coffee in my dream at 5:30 AM, ahh thats enough for me to go straight away to the kitchen and start with the business ;)
Kumbakonam Degree Coffee Recipe - Ingredients
: 10 mins
| Cooking Time
: 15 mins
: 2 to 3
| Recipe Cuisine
: South Indian
| Recipe Source
: The Hindu
For the decotion:
Coffee Powder - 3 heaped tsp
Water - 3/4 cup
For the coffee:
Strong decotion - 1/4 cup(adjust according to the strongness you want)
Milk - 1.5 cups
Sugar - 2 tsp
Note* : This decotion can make around 2-3 cups of coffee depending on the strongness.
- Choose good quality filter coffee powder.Take your coffee filter.
- First add 3 tsps of filter coffee powder to the filter upper container,Set aside. Now boil water.
- Place the stick inside then add boiled water.Close with the lid and set aside undisturbed for 15-20mins until all the decotion drops down.As you see the decotion drops and gets collected in the lower part of the filter.
- Boil milk first then place it inside a bigger container which has boiling water.Let it boil until you start preparing the filter coffee.
- Add sugar in the serving tawara.Then add the coffee decotion.Mix once.
- Then strain milk. Pour from the tawara to the tumbler for once or twice until frothy.Serve hot!
Filter coffee is ready serve it hot and frothy.We always serve filter coffee in a set of tawara tumbler as shown in the pics.
- Choosing good quality filter coffee powder is a must.
- As we double boil the milk, malai starts forming so its better to always strain milk and then serve.
- I added a little more decotion to get a strong coffee, but its upto your preference.
- But personally I love the slight bitter taste in filter coffee.
- Once the decotion is added to the milk, do not overheat. If you want to heat then place the coffee tumbler inside a container which has boiling water.
- You can refrigerate the decotion for a day.
- We can take even 2 decotion by adding in little more water once the 1 st decotion is taken and used. The 2nd decotion is not very strong.
- If you use decotion stored in fridge, heat the decotion separately by placing it inside a container which has boiling water.
Ready for piping hot filter coffee?!