Prawn Kuzhambu is in my totry list since I started cooking prawns, Amma usually makes prawn gravy
or prawn fry
as that's the few dishes we like.My younger cousin sister is an expert in cooking nonveg dishes so asked her for this recipe and tried it...and yes as usual amma cleaned the prawns and kept it ready for me :) This prawn kuzhambu came out soo good, goes very well with rice, idli and dosa too.
Hubby bought baby prawns this time and that uplifted the curry to a greater extent as the flavours got nicely blended with prawns.You can try with the usual prawn variety or even with the jumbo variety.
Prawn Kuzhambu Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Serves : 2
Prawns - 1 cup cleaned (around 40 baby prawns)
Small Onion - 10
Tomato - 1
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Tomato - 1 medium sized
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tsp to garnish
Salt - to taste
Water - as needed
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oil - 2 tsp
Curry Leaves - a small sprig
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
To grind to a paste:
Small Onion - 5
Garlic - 3 cloves
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Coconut - 1/8 cup
Tomatoes - 1 small
Pepper - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Grind the ingredients listed under 'to grind' to a fine paste.Clean prawns(by removing the center nerve part), wash it in running water twice then mix turmeric powder,salt and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai - add the items under 'to temper' then add onions fry till transparent.Then add ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute.Then add tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy.
- Add cleaned prawns.Saute for 2mins.Then add red chilli and coriander powder.Saute until prawns starts shrinking say 3mins.Add required salt.
- Prawns let out water so add water accordingly, I added 1/4 cup water.Cook until prawns are cooked to soft.Now add the coconut paste.Add little water if the curry is too thick.
- Allow it to boil in simmer and get cooked until oil separates, this may take atleast 10-15mins. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
Serve hot with rice or rotis as per your choice!
- As we grind the ingredients raw it needs time for the raw smell to leave so give it a nice boiling time after coconut paste is added.
- Never add coconut paste before prawn is cooked.
- Clean prawns and wash it thoroughly before you cook.
- This curry goes well with rotis or even rice.