Vegetable Biryani is a quick and easy one pot meal that you can make for lunch.You need to plan few things before hand like making ginger garlic paste,chopping veggies and making the spice powder ready,then making biriyani is so easy.I always follow ammas biryani recipe
, but through the years have adapted few other recipes which are easy and quick too and once such method is this one.Chettinad Cuisine uses special ingredients and freshly ground spices which lends a unique flavour, this biryani is the best example for it as it was very well received by all at home.We had it with onion raita, will post it soon.The ingredients and method seems a bit long, but once you get the ingredients ready making is very easy.
Chettinad Vegetable Biryani Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 1 hr |
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Mixed Vegetables* - 1 cup
Small Onion - around 12
Tomato - 2 small sized chopped roughly
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Mint Leaves - 1/4 cup loosely packed
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp + 2 tsp for garnish
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5 tsp
Curd - 2 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
Cashews - 8
Water - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
To roast and grind:
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
Pepper Corns - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Star Anise - 3 petals
Marathi Mokku - 1/2
Bayleaf - 1
Green Chilli - 1 slitted
Kalpasi - 1/4 tsp
Mixed Veggies* - I used cauliflower,peas,carrot,potato
- Take the spices and dry roast it till slightly browned.Cool down and grind it to a semi fine powder.Set aside.
- While you start making the gravy, soak rice for 30mins atleast.Get ready with your veggies,onion and tomato.In a pressure cooker, heat oil+ghee add kalpasi,bayleaf and green chilli.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2mins.Then add onion , tomato and saute till tomatoes turn mushy.Then add coriander and mint leaves, saute till it shrinks.
- Then add the veggies and mix well.Add red chilli powder,coriander powder and the spice powder that we made.Saute for few mins.Add required salt.
- Then add curd, mix well, it will look like a thick gravy.Drain water from rice and add it.
- Give a quick mix.Add 2 cups and water and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame.
- Once pressure releases, take off the weight and place the cooker in a dosa tawa for 3-5mins in low flame and switch off - This step is purely optional but gives a nice fluffy rice.Then open and fluff it up.
- Heat ghee in a tadka pan, fry cashews till golden.Add it along with chopped coriander leaves and remaining ghee.Mix well.
Serve hot with onion raita!
- Keeping in dum removes excess moisture and gives nice fluffy rice.Sometimes I do this when I feel the rice is sticky.But this is purely optional, I have given so that it will be useful when there is excess water.
- You can make ginger garlic paste, the spice powder mix before hand and store it.
- Soaking rice gives soft fluffy rice.
- I used the veggies I had in hand, you can use veggies like beans,baby corn etc
- Kalpasi is a very important spice in chettinad cuisine so dont skip it.
Labels: Biryani Recipes, Chettinad Recipes